Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-22-2005, 11:31 AM   #1

We build custom trailers and do modifications to trucks.

Check it out, it is neat stuff and could give you ideas for your own projects.
www.jexcar.com

PS: I am from this company, but I'm not trying to solicit here, just show you guys whats up. Plus I am somewhat of an expert in this type of work, and I would be happy to answer any questions and help out!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #2

I checked out the Jexcar site while at work (hey it's OK; we're family...) and was impressed with the types of rigs they do. There are three locations listed to call for info, but I am curious as to which is the "main plant" or headquarters.
I was personally intrigued by the tractor units on some of the "semi-coaches", as they themselves were essentially a box-behind-a-cabover truck. Something like that except with a longer box and NO trailer would suit me....(you reading this Jexcar?)
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #3

.....kinda a combination of Showhauler-Haulmark-Renegade and PowerCoach....nothing really new here.....kinda carnival type trailers-built by a HI-LO trailer designer. Anyway I don't want to be viewed as a "Star"....NOT unique as I would expect-just flashy/trashy entertainment people.....I'm more of a uilitarian type person-glitz offends me-In the housing businesss we used to use it to cover up poor design areas.....geofkaye
Old 07-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #4

Jexcar,

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I am completing my conversion of a 1994 FLD 120 with a Grumman box body installed on a stretched chassis. What I need to know is how to seal the cab roof to the body if we should want to cut it out into the body section above like the "C" class motorhomes have done. It is not an air-ride cab but it does move some when driving. Thanks.

Peter. madbrit@ctaz.com
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM   #5

Gary,
The three phone numbers all go to the factory, just sales numbers thats all. We're a small company (less than 12 units a year) so there are no sales offices to speak of.
We are a trailer builder at heart. Not really aimed at the recreational builder, but more of the "working units"(better money) but the construction methods are all the same. Thats why you see more trailers than anything.
Our specialty is building specialty "one off" units. No two end up being the same. Most contain multiple slideouts and/or roof extensions. Maximum slideout size are 45'l x 8'd with the largest trailer we build being 24' wide when setup.

geofkaye,
Re:
" we used to use it to cover up poor design areas.....geofkaye""

I hope that wasn't a slam... That's just not nice. We put in as much or as little "glitz" as the customer wants. And we're not a "HI-LO" builder.

madbrit,

We've never done a cutout as you are describing. The need never came up. All of our cab access is a rear wall cutout, to which we just use a flexible rubber accordion weatherstripping designed for the job.
Old 07-23-2005, 03:06 PM   #6

Jexcar- thanks for the reply. I take it you're in Vancouver, then? Would that be in Washington or B.C.?
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #7

Jexcar,

Thanks for the reply. Can you advise me where to buy this accordion material and possibly the attaching frames for a standard rear wall cut-out. We tried wood for the frame with a plastic strip, but not enough give as it pops and clicks as one makes tight turns, etc. Also, the wood reduces the already small hole even more. Thanks.

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #8

Gary,
Vancouver, BC

Madbrit,
Off the top of my head we get it from a transportation hardware company in Canada called Faucher (http://www.faucher.ca). But I would bet a whole bag of peanuts that I know of a place closer to AZ. I'll look it up on Monday. As far as the ring goes, we just do a custom steel or aluminum frame on a per basis so I can't really help you out there.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by madbrit:
Jexcar,

Thanks for the reply. Can you advise me where to buy this accordion material and possibly the attaching frames for a standard rear wall cut-out. We tried wood for the frame with a plastic strip, but not enough give as it pops and clicks as one makes tight turns, etc. Also, the wood reduces the already small hole even more. Thanks.

Peter.
Madbrit
i picked up some Pete parts at Westox or Westoz (sp?), a big rig dismantler in phoenix. they had may wrecked cabs there. the Pete 379 uses a realy nice rubber bellow that may work for you
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:22 PM   #10

....Jexcar...In our old line of business that was standard proceedure" add Glitz" to kill bad design areas or poorly thought out areas in house construction....A large gree bush/tree and a adjustable "eyeball lite" will kill any corner mistake or odd shaped area that is covering up some utility or plumbing area....sometimes just duct work that won't fit in the area it was designed for...."Glitz" is extreemly common in the trailer business to make something plain and uilitarian look highline-like the mirrors over the bed in a Prevost bus....or the idiot lites running is strips-makes it look like a movie theater during the show.....those are dead give aways to poor construction/design....they "wow" the customer but the builders are hiding stuff as best and as cheap as they can.....after you look at trailers for a while you get the feel for crappy design and rough construction....hang around these boards and sites a while and you will discover how ofter this happens.......geofkaye