Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-26-2002, 08:58 AM   #1

I've been considering doing my own truck conversion, and the info on the site has been very helpful to me. I haven't selected a truck yet - this is very much in the planning stages. But, one solution to construction that seems obvious to me (in order to save money) is to use a truck van body, about 24' long by 7' high, connect it to the cab, remove the rear door, close it off, and insulate and finish the interior as normal. What are the drawbacks to doing this, does anyone know? Thanks.

Racewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 01:55 PM   #2

I admit to having no expertise in this particular area, but I see no drawbacks to your idea.

It might be less expensive to just buy a good used 24 foot travel trailer, remove the springs, axles, and cut off the hitch. Then bolt the trailer frame to the truck frame.

I think you could pick up a good clean used 24 footer for around 10K. Holes could be cut in the back of the cab with matching size hole in the front cap on the trailer. Attach the two, seal, and install a big rubber boot. You would be home free.

I think that would involve less expense than installing, plumbing, water, grey and black tanks, electrical wiring, insulation, living quarters, etc in a truck box.

I think the cleanest installation would be on a used class 8 day cab tractor, all air ride, with as long a Wheelbase as you could find. Register it as a motorhome, no CDL required. Plenty of power and braking. I personally would never even consider an underpowered class 6 truck for any type of conversion.

onezman

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:47 PM   #3

I've thought about the travel trailer option, too, onezman. At least I don't feel QUITE so nutty now...

Even with a truck box, I'd figured on getting a travel trailer to cannibalize for the interior stuff. $10K gets you a pretty new and pristine 24-footer. In fact, it's possible to do it very nicely for less.

I was thinking class 8 daycab, too. If I get going on this project, I'll keep everyone posted. Meanwhile, I sure appreciate the help and info here.
Racewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #4

Here are a few things to consider. Box trucks such as a Fl70 or 4700 are expensive compared to a class 8. You have to go down to the early 1990's to find a good box truck in the $15,000 range. Also watch the gearing on these trucks, many are used intercity and won't make it much over 55 mph. The hieght of the box can also be a problem, you most likely will not be able to put a AC unit on the roof and still make it under electric lines and some bridge over passes. And the boxes on these trucks will require some beefing up structurally.

Easter Conversions does a TT on a class 8 --> http://hometown.aol.com/lea9352812/

Now anything can be done, but here are some additional factors to consider. TT's have to be light due to there chassis and towing issues. So the products used in a TT (and for that matter some motorhomes) have to be light weight and usually are not very durable. Also it is difficult to marry the truck to the tt and make it look like it was suppose to be that way.

You would be much further ahead if you get a good Class 8 ($15,000), stretch it ($3500), have a box built ($28,000) you finish off the interior. Transport Design will build just the box.

Just some thoughts, if you begin the process keep us posted.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 1/10/03 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote