Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   A new Showhauler was conceived on 5/20/03! (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/new-showhauler-conceived-5-20-03-a-5327/)

Patrick 09-20-2003 04:06 AM

The Bigfoot levelers are installed. It took 2 of us 16 hours instead of the estimated 4 hours that the fellas at Quadra claimed. Doing the install after the fact is a very difficult job that I could only recommend to someone who is a contortionist and very good at welding painted metal vertically. One jack had 1/2" between the fuel cell and 1/2" between the cargo bin. It was late and I was tired so I havent even leveled the coach and let the computer do its initial setup. I'll let you know how it works!

geof 09-20-2003 01:27 PM

Patrick-with a vehicle that length/weight is the leveling issue that much of an issue? your's and others thoughts please....geof

Patrick 09-21-2003 04:22 PM

My thoughts are that I can usually find a spot level enough or dump the bags to help...but there are always times that I attend off-road trail exploring events that the camp sites are primitive and the levelers needed. My SH is more stable without levelers than my previous class A was with levelers down. The Big Foots will be handy for maintenance issues as well. I just returned from a weekend trip to Springfield, MO. The road construction was hell stop and go and it was windy but I got 10.2 mpg.

Patrick 10-02-2003 06:01 PM

I made a trip to Disney,OK to do a little 4 wheelin and the Big Foots worked slick. The campsite was primitive so the jacks came in handy. The front tires were close to coming off the ground when level was achieved. One word of advice...dump the bags if the front needs to come up a bunch.

paul.zr1 10-03-2003 03:26 PM

My NRC conversion uses a leveling system made by Equalizer Systems in Elkhart, Indiana. www.equalizersystems.com

They appear to be similar to Big Foots, in that they are quite heavy duty. I think the main difference is that they use one hydraulic pump for all four levelers rather than a seperate pump for each leveler. They have an auto level function as well as individual control over each jack. Also, an auto retract for all four jacks.

I initially had some problems with them but their service is very good. After replacing a leveling sensor all is well. The jack will easily lift the entire motorhome off the ground. My MH weighs in excess of 35,000 pounds.

At one campground that was particularly sandy and uneven, after putting some 4" x 12" timbers under the rear jacks they leveled it right on the money.

WERA 10-07-2003 08:38 AM

I love my Bigfoots. I've been in situations at tracks where the front end has been totally off the ground for 3-4 days striaght with no problems at all. I also put them down to stabilize the rig and cut down on movement from people walking about.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing