Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-21-2003, 08:57 PM   #21

Mase, thanks for the great info on db Engineering. The website is www.800nonoise.com
Paul

paul.zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 07:47 AM   #22

Paul,
Which dealer did you work through for your NRC conversion? (I've made contact with Mike at NRC and he's been very helpful with coach-related questions. But, he referred me to some dealers to address my truck-related questions.)

Regards,
Alan

DrFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:12 PM   #23

Alan,
The NRC dealer I went though was Beyer Trailer Sales in New Carlisle, Ohio. His name is Boyd Beyer, phone 800-845-5577. The Freightliner dealer was Hill Freightliner, Elkhart, Indiana and the guy who sells, and is very knowlegable on the trucks is Ken Downey, phone 574-262-3441. Ken sells a lot of trucks into the RV industry and know just what options to consider.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:44 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paul.zr1:

Regarding cold weather, I will be driving mine in the Midwest alot in that my family in in Wisconsin, and we frequently travel to Colorado for skiing. I could be wrong, but I elected not to get my tanks heated because there enclosed, however in very cold weather I'll pour some antifreeze in the gray and black water tanks. We'll see if I have to add heat strips later on!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul: Please describe futher how the holding tanks are enclosed. Would it be possible to insulate and heat the entire enclosure (and not use heat strips inside the tanks)? I'm interested in four-season use so I'd like to hear your experiences regarding heat, insulation, windows, and so forth.

Regards,
Alan
DrFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:44 AM   #25

Not intending to answer Pauls question but heat tapes are not used ~inside~ the tanks. The are used outside. i.e. I installed an 8' 18 watt tape around my drain station which automatically turns on at 38*. The tape is a/c but runs off of my inverter. At 18 watts it should run for a couple weeks without charging the batteries. Indefinetely if I get a solar panel. My hopes are that this 100* heat will rise through the drains and warm both tanks enough to prevent freezing. The first good freeze we have I plan to drain my gray water and measure the water temp...I'll let you know how it works. My previous coach had cargo heat but lots of LP and $$$ was wasted heating that area when temps were above freezing.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 08:48 PM   #26

Patrick, I'll be very interested to see the temperatures you come up with. I need to decide if heat strips would be right for my rig, or whether antifreeze will do the job.

Alan, regarding your comments, my 200 gallons of fresh water is under the bed, so it's esentially inside the motorhome which will be warm. The tanks I'm interested in are the gray and black water tanks and their drain pipes which are exposed to the outside weather.

As far as window, my feeling is that it's a cost trade-off in that for an additional $1000 for thermal pane glass you get a slightly higher R-value and slightly less noise. I chose the standard windows.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:15 PM   #27

best R-value for a RV window I have been able to find is about a R-3....tripple slider....not much but if you take that bubble wrap insulation and cover it with cloth you have a R-6 and if you add an inch and one half of polyisocynate foam board you have a R-16-which is pretty respectable at nite or when traveling through cold country....you can hold it in place with velcro strips..FWIW...I have it instead of drapes and curtains...then again I'm "spartin"[AKA CHEAP] in terms of interior decoration-more interested in keeping cool or warm as the case may be....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 07:30 AM   #28

Geof, is the polyisocynate foam board readily available at places like home depot? Is it dense and strong enough to use on the under the motorhome on the bottom of the floor? I like the velcro idea for occaisional use on my skylight hear in the blazing sun of Texas.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:27 AM   #29

Yes Paul you can use it in both places-on automotive use it doesnt need to be covered by drywall. It has a variety on brand names like R-MAX and Celotex among others but it is the highest rated thermo insulator available currently except shuttle tile that I know of. A one inch thich sheet 4'X8'X1" thick runs $10.00 and has a R-value of 7 ..covered with a piece of cloth and a layer of Reflectx bubble wrap you have about a R-14 with excellant heat reflectance.....I have made a kinda pillow for each window and use Velcro to hold it in position-they are very light >1 pound at most....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:29 PM   #30

I am having trouble finding the photos as well. Where is Members Galleries? Also What is the web address for NCR Motorhomes.

Thanks
Donna

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paul.zr1:
You can find the pictures by clicking on "Paul Dehnert" in the Members Galleries and the on "NRC Motorhome" which is right above the two frame metal pictures. I don't understand how I got the pictures in two different areas. Ah yes, the wonders of computers!

Paul<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
dspainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #31

Sorry for the wild goose chase I found the photos and the link to NCR..

Thanks
Donna<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dspainter:
I am having trouble finding the photos as well. Where is Members Galleries? Also What is the web address for NCR Motorhomes.

Thanks
Donna

You can find the pictures by clicking on "Paul Dehnert" in the Members Galleries and the on "NRC Motorhome" which is right above the two frame metal pictures. I don't understand how I got the pictures in two different areas. Ah yes, the wonders of computers!

Paul<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

dspainter is offline   Reply With Quote