Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #1

I just aquired a 1992 F-250 4x4 with the 5.8L gas engine. It has a 3" suspension and 3" body lift on 36" tires. I want the truck to use for beach fishing/driving/camping in North Carolina. I have considered desiging a custom camper body to replace the bed with. I want custom because a slide in unit won't handle the bouncing/off roading over time.
Has anyone made one before and if so can you supply pics and/or suggestions. It needs to sleep 3 (2 adults and 1 child) and be reasonably comfortable since the ol' lady isn't one for roughing it. Thanks for any feedback.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #2

Have deep pockets? check out Earthroamer
link;
http://www.earthroamer.com/

There is entire world and website full of expedition type rv's you might Google that and get a week or 2 worth of reading for ideas. the link is on my home laptop.
-blizz

Old 06-18-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

...IF YOU ARE A DWARFS YOU AND THE WIFE WILL BE VERY COMFORTABLE....OTHERWISE YOU ARE GOING TO BE MISERABLE......6'-1'' AND 200#s will be enough to fill all the available space-if you take a wife you will be packed like an airline suitcase.....try it before you buy it....I hate to spoil your fun-but unless you are young[20's] it will be a waste of money....North Americans are used to stretching out and having space...Europeans will adapt-any other country's citizens will think they are in heaven but for USA people it is just too tight and utilitarian and will not due....I build very utilitarian/multi-use stuff and have to make an effort to glitz it up to meet market demands...this includes opening up the space for living and giving it an open & airy feel......geofkaye....Rivercity Group
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #4

Thanks. I've seen the earthroamer site too and they're pricey$$$$
I agree the space will be limited, especially since I'm 6'4" and 260lbs.
I'll keep a look out on Craigslist for a cheap slide in unit and try that out. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Default F250 is gone

I got rid of the F250 because it ended up being a money pit, constantly breaking down and getting about 7mpg. I'm not positive but I strongly believe it was flooded at some point in it's prior life in North Carolina's outer banks, which would explain why one part after another was failing literally 2 weeks after I got it. Lesson learned, it's been sold to a high school kid who plans to use it on the family farm. I downsized to a Honda Fit and it's nice not filling up every 2 days :-) Now I'm committed to saving for a used Volvo tractor and a trailer to build a custom RV.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #6

There is a lesson in your experience for all of us!

I want a truck to pull my race trailer that I can camp in for two or three days at the race track. One of the guys I race with started out with a 3/4 ton FWD pickup with a crew or extended cab, long box that he put a slide-in camper into and then hooked his 24' enclosed trailer onto. The 70 mile trip to the track scared the $&() out of him as it as it wandered all over the road. He dumped the truck immediately, got a 1 ton and is much happier.

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote