Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #1

Hello everyone, just got signed up and wanted to say hello and share my project, I purchasd a 377 Pete with a 120" double eagle sleeper two years ago to pull my boat with, sleeper equiped with two beds, refrig, shower, 40 gal h2O/ heater Kabuto 3cyl 4.5kw diesel gen/roof air and heat. Got lucky I think? truck runs great other than spending two weeks cleaning the interior and 4 new batteries and a few tires all is well, moving on to the next phase I picked up a 48' drop deck van trailer with no side doors, rear swing doors. My plan is to convert it to a toy hauler, I've already started with about 120 hrs of my labor in to it,I built a sub floor of 18" to use as a basement, I purchased an old bumeper pull R.V for parts and am gutting it, so far I've had to buy a custom water tank (125gal)and about $500 in steel for floor and window framing, any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated

377pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

Suggestions? Pictures, hahahaahaha. Sounds like a very cool plan. I'm guessing you're going to cut in a door on the side near the front for the living quarters portion? Then build a ramp or lift on the back to get the toys in? Going to wall off a garage in the back? How about some flip down bunk beds on the side walls of the garage for guests? Several windows. I like lots of windows to make me feel like I'm out in the country. I wish my truck had bigger windows. What about opening up the sleeper a bit in the truck portion by removing some of the living quarters stuff and putting in some bigger windows there and some comfy travel seating and an entertainment center? Then make the front part of the trailer the living quarters. I think if you have communication between the tractor and trailer you can have people in the trailer when you're under way.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #3

I plan on 31 ft of living up front, i'll have about 96" for a master bedroom upfront, I built up the floor so I have an 18" basement, I plan on putting up a wall and seperating the garage with a regular entry door to pass thru. Decent size bathroom and a loft for extra sleeping as well as at least a fold out couch and drop down booth dinette. I have thought about redoing the tractor just as you suggest for added travel comfort but priority is the toy hauler, as I need to get to the Sand Dunes !!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #4

I already have the entry door and two curb side windows installed, I picked up a metal corrugaed ladder with 4 step and a platform that I cut down to fit, I will mount it under the the trailer and fab a pull out hinged mount. The parts trailer I purchased has nine windows and I do plan on making use of all of them if possible, I really would like to install a slide into the thing but am hesitant as this thing has already turned into a second career, if anyone has ideas on a simple slide install I would love to hear from you. I'm also looking for a side access door manufacture as I plan on having basement access doors down both sides of the trailer and i'm sure they will have to be custom ordered,
Old 02-16-2010, 08:33 PM   #5

I will post some photo;s as soon as I can
Old 02-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #6

Welcome to TC, G