Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Default new build

I am starting a new build but nothing compared to the beauties you guys build. Its just going to be simple quick and cheap.

Searching for a MDT and I will install the largest camper with a slide I can find on the frame and over the cab. Unfortunately most seem to be fleet trucks and i have two questions if you will indulge me.

1. How much length minimum do I need to allow for the flatbed to accommodate the gooseneck hitch?

2. Most of these trucks have small HP motors like a cat C7 or DT446. Can i dial these up to 300ish HP or am I starting over with a new motor?

Thanks

timruger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

What type of gooseneck trailer are you pulling? If it is an enclosed trailer you need more room. If it's an open gooseneck you don't need much. I am building a hitch similar to this in the picture. I'm going to pull an open gooseneck on a bumper pull hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #3

I read somewhere 6' from ball to back of rig is considered max deck length. I have 33" and am considering moving the hitch on my trailer 1.5" farther back just to shorten the whole rig up. I'm waiting until I'm done with building the trailer(about 90% done now) so I can check the weight on the rear axle. I'm reasonably close to 20K# now, so that is the determining factor.
neetchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45 AM   #4

I have a flatbed gooseneck trail and a gooseneck horse trailer that i will be pulling
timruger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timruger1 View Post

[snip]

2. Most of these trucks have small HP motors like a cat C7 or DT446. Can i dial these up to 300ish HP or am I starting over with a new motor?

Thanks
To answer your first question:
You can dial it up beyond all sensibility until it blows smoke [aka 'unburnt fuel']. However, longevity is limited by the capacity of the rest of the drivetrain. The clutch has an opinion. The transmission has an opinion. The U-joints have an opinion.

At what point does additional torque over-power the frame and brakes? I'm not an engineer, I wouldn't know.

To answer your second question:
A larger engine / transmission / frame / brakes is usually a good idea. How much safety can you afford?
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote