Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-12-2008, 08:26 AM   #1

We're finally nearing the end of our project. 4 years of work in the evenings and weekends to reach this point. Just wanted to share our progress with all of you. Bill, I know we had talked in e-mail a couple of years ago and I promised to update you. Here ya go!

Let me know what you think, guys!

Go to my website (wildtimesmotorsports.com) to see all of the construction pictures, click on the "NEW HAULER" page when you get to the site.

Thanks all!
Brad Jerew
Wild Times Motorsports
www.wildtimesmotorsports.com

TractorPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 PM   #2

That looks great...

Rad

Old 03-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #3

.....YOU GUYS DO KILLER WORK! so when it the 2008 schedule available?...I'd like to see you run...and win of course!...geofkaye-out of Cincinnati Ohio.....
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #4

Nice paint job. It shows that you have taken your time and done it right!
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #5

looks awsome. i am buying a 120 soon to repair and customize. Was yours a day cab originally?
Cowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM   #6

Thanks to all for the compliments! We're laying out and taping the stripes down the sides of the coach right now -- hopefully we can finish painting them in the next couple of weeks.

Cowtown, No, it didn't start as a day cab, it had a detached sleeper and not an integrated sleeper, so we were able to use the aluminum pass-through frames and rubber seal from the sleeper and build it into the front of the box, saving a lot of time and work.

Brad Jerew
Wild Times Motorsports
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Do you think I could extend an integrated sleeper? Im looking at a FL that is damaged at the back of cab/sleeper. I thought since i was going to take it apart at the rivets, I would extend it out some? Im just gettin started and exploring options. I love the styling of these freightliners.Thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #8

...ARE ya able to use airplane rivets and have the proper equipment to do the job?...not a pop rivet kind of thing.....need lot of sheet metal equipment.....aluminum is a PIA unless you are experienced...geofkaye
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #9

I would like to learn about the process. I am willing to search for the fastening tools. I thought I would have the metal cut to size or order the pieces from supplier. It seems like a complete cab is pretty costly. Thought It would be rewarding to do my own body work.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:39 PM   #10

I've seen some 120s with integrated sleepers, turned into conversions. Mostly what I've seen was some people who used the factory flare of the cab, then cut it off and made their own corners, finishing the back of the cab off flat, to mate to a box.

You just have to buck aluminum rivets. We have a rivet hammer in our air chisel, and you hold a chunk of steel to the back of the rivet, and pound it tight. No pop rivets. Our box was actually off of a straight truck and had a roll-up rear door, so we built our own rear panel and bought pre-painted aluminum panels, buck-riveting the panel on, to appear stock.

You could also use metal bonding adhesive. We glued all of the gray skirt panels along the bottom of the coach with chemical bonding adhesive, same type of stuff they use to glue roof panels to cars.

Brad Jerew
Wild Times Motorsports
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM   #11

.......did you all consider the expansion and contraction of material in the sun and shade?....I have a trailer with pillowing on the side in the sun ....wondering how to eleminate it with out going to VHB 3 M tape....which is not weathering too well IIRC in FLorida....geofkaye
Old 03-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #12

......BTW it is a screwed on .060 aluminum currently and will pillow between studs but not between screws.....geofkaye