Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #21

I have been very impressed with my last 2 calls to Chuck, he has told me of several things that they have fixed (including the closeness of the muffler to wiring) he has 3 (Experienced)guys on the project, and I believe today they will start with the walls.

My project is the only one in the shop, it's one of the few plus sides of this economy, if you have the opportunity to spend money, there are folks that during better times would have to squeeze you in, they will now focus their whole effort into getting your project done so that they can get that final check.

I don't think he's going racing anytime soon, his Sprint car was sitting there without an engine and he mentioned he had to send it and the spares to be rebuilt, but it is so slow at his conversion shop that he has no cash to bail them out.

It's a very tough market right now for new conversions, one glance at racingjunk.com and you can buy as many units as you want in whatever price range you want to spend.

If it wasn't for my 9' height limit, I could have saved 5-10 grand just by buying one of C & S's class 8's he has out front for sale.
-blizz

Old 04-29-2009, 09:04 PM   #22

blizzardND:....from my experience you will never save any money having built what you want....believe me-my customers have economic freedom and will make changes and additional stuff during any build or rebuild...such is life. Most people want what they want and will spend what they have to get what they want....it is my job to make that happen within the amount that they want to spend or less....that is the bottom line of my success!........making what they want happen.......geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #23

She made it home! Chuck and his crew did a great job and we are very happy "campers"

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #24

.....See how this one does and how it fits you....-then start on the next one-.....it never ceases to amaze me one of the first things people say, "if we had to do it all over again, we would....." and then go into a explanation of how it should have been done and what they would do over , and in detail!....sometimes, included in the discussion is a drawing/sketch and even once, a small model..... you just know they have been thinking seriously about their situation and how to improve it......alas, I have seen some of their homes and they have remodeled them again and again....custom building is mostly making the impossible possible and then scrapping that idea and doing something else entirely.....it is an obsession/journey/exercise in madness.....but is sure fun! The theme is the journey-not the final destination......geofkaye
Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #25

Thanks Geofkaye, yes I'd like a couple of do-overs,

first would be to spend the money on basement ducted AC, that would really help narrow the drop roof.

second, a more conventional lower side build out of tubing rather than laser cut sheet would have simplified things and possibly save me weight and a lot of money.

but the biggest thing would be I'd start with an International 4300 and maybe even an Auto transmission.

but man this 6500 rides nice, real smooth. yes I'd like to start again, especially with the idiots that built my shop with a 9' door!
-blizz
Old 07-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #26

..BLIZZ:...let me tell you that the aero signature of your MH will more than make up for any changes in height...I have a 6500 wrecker and the best it will do in about 6.5 mpg in the city and maybe 8.0 on the highway....my 610 Volvo will do 8.8 all day long on the highway at 75+ and not break a sweat....in the city I usually get about 7.0 unless traffic is just not moving at all and I shut the damn thing off and take a nap with the generator on......you will do well on the highway with the design that you have....low and lean is the way to go these days unless you have a lot of cash you need to get rid of....fuel is $2.559 here this morning. Your unique design will pay for itself as I believe you are ahead of your game when It comes to the aero issue ....geofkaye
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #27

Good looking vehicle Blizz. Unique as well. What is the overall height limit? It looks like you can fit in more places than I.

just a note: you gotta watch those 4300s. they are very solid, but they ride too solid for my taste. besides, I like what you got now.

Doc Weaver
Old 07-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #28

I don't know what the overall height limit is for you, Chucks Volvo is 13'-6" with a dropped roof for his 2 AC units. That's as high as I'd ever go. My height limit is set by a 9'-0" Garage door to store my rig, right now she is 8'-10.5" Because of the spread on my axles and the dropped driveway I clear the door with 2-3"

About the fuel milage, I checked it returning home from Watertown, 150 miles straight into a 15-20 mph headwind.I was getting late,so I set the cruise control at 73-74, that way I wouldn't have to pass anyone. I had a little trouble fueling it up all the way with the big truck nozzles, so I don't think I got a good test of the fuel economy, I put 151 miles on it and put 17 gallons of fuel, so 8.88mpg

I'll try again next run out, next time I'll use the small nozzle fuel pump and take my time to let the tank burp out the bubbles.

I'm also going to recap my Michelin XDE's in the rear, I should pick up almost 1.5 in tire dia over my bald XDE's that should help drop my RPM's just a bit and still maintain my 75mph cruise speed.
-blizz
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #29

Mine is 12.5 feet but some of the driveways and back roads don't meet code. Check your fuel mileage at different mph too. By dropping from 70 to 65 I gain almost 2 mpg. That adds up on long trips.

Doc
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #30

Awesome rig Blizzard!!!!! What's the headroom inside? Can you post some interior pics? She's a beauty and has a nice looking profile. This would be a decent rig for suburban/city driving due to the low height that allows you to get into places that a taller rig can't. What was the overall approx cost of the conversion for those of us still in the dreaming/planning stage ;-) Great work!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #31

Yes indead,,a nice looking vehicle, and the best thing about all..?? BlizzareND, you put a plan to action and have what best fits your needs. Most people have to put up with things that thay don't use or want, when having a RV. Now get on the road and make good use of it. Hope to see you on the road. Roadside
Roadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM   #32

Hay Blizz, now you need to get some inside pics going. Everybody else, I just saw this truck yesterday. It's very cool. It's kind of like a truck conversion on weight loss and stomach stapling, or a roadtrek on steroids.

Todd, one other question? You have the gray tank on one side and the black on the other. You said you're going to install a pump to pump the gray to the other side with the black. I'm thinking it would be best to pump the gray into the black after you've drained the black, then flush the black (that now has gray water) at that point. It will take some time to pump all that gray over. I don't think you want to sit at the dump station blocking it while you wait to pump out your gray do you? You could flush the black, then start the transfer pump while you move out of the way, then come back and do the final flush. That would also give you a bit more cleaning out of the black tank. And, it would give you the ability to flush your drain hose with a rush of gray rather than a trickle from the pump.Maybe that's the way you were planning it anyhow? Just musing here.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #33

Bob, Thanks for coming over yesterday, Darcy and I had a great time! Thank your son again for us for his service for our country. (Bob's son just returned home from Iraq a week ago)

I'll get some interior pics posted after I get the fridge back in and the cabinets doors re-hung. 'till then everyone can just imagine cherry stained oak hardwood with sawdust all over it.

The transfer pump is a 110V 100 gal/min unit, I'll have to think over your suggestion I really have't thought about it much, I suppose there are pros and cons, but I'm not clear on any of it right now, which is kinda why I keep putting it off.

Hope you have a great weekend in NW Minn.
-todd
Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #34

copied from my thread on the Escapees MDT Forum
Well I have a few minutes tonight to let you in on some of the "Progress" The truck had a vibration on deaccell when I brought it home, 600 dollars later we managed to change the pinion angle on the rear end by reversing the z-spring mounting blocks and machining them down a bit. It seems to run just fine now.

I also stumbled across a real nice set of used Sumitomo ST 918's for the rear, less than 500 miles on them, one run, that did not fix somebody else's vibration problem so he put his old tires back on.

We dismantled the rear queen bed and reconstructed as a full with a toe kick under it to help get around a bit easier.

I also built some bedstands next to the bed and a place to sit in front of them, as the drop roof over the bed makes it difficult to sit up all the way.

Water tank is located in an insulated box between the frame rails under bed storage

We went to Menards bought cabinets, stained and varnished them and wired reading lights from Lowes.

The mattress was made custom for this application by the local Comfort King Mattress factory, they build mattresses however you want them, and will make any changes to them stiffer/softer for life! Ours is made 4" thick out of a mattress of 1.5" dia coils stitched together one next to each other.

We moved forward and added medicine cabinet and towel racks in bathroom, as well as some locks to keep my 50 lb solid core sliding doors from hammering closed when you take a corner too quick.

I got the upper cabinet installed next to the microwave and all the door/drawer handles so that I can open a drawer without breaking a fingernail.

I thought I would include this picture, I took it with my cellphone when the truck was at the driveshaft shop when the were searching out my vibration problem, it shows how smooth the bottom of the truck is, I still have to make a panel made for under the genny right behind the hitch. note she is sheeted all the way up to the back of the steering axle.

blizz
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #35

what did you do for corners of box where front and side walls meet? did you buy them or built your own. also from roof to front and rear walls on outside.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #36

We made our own. On page 4 post 75, of my build log on the Escappees' Forum might help you see how it was framed.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index...showtopic=73051&st=0

blizz