Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-27-2004, 05:58 PM   #1

Hello from Virginia. I have a 99 century class tractor that I am going to convert. I have the truck and have purchased the rear half of a frame from a Columbia. I plan on extending the wheelbase 8 feet 6 inches. I will add 2 driveshafts. Instead of cutting the truck in half and adding 8 feet in the middle which will cause me to have two joints and more reinforcement, I will cut 6 feet off the original truck and add 14 feet from the sacrificial one Then I will move the 2 axles back to the factory locations on the added section. Do any of you masters have any thoughts to share on this subject? I plan on a DIY project from start to finish. I am furiously reading and learning stuff. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?? I will be taking pictures along the way. I have alot to learn. Keep up the postings . Thanks JEFF

Auto_Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:50 AM   #2

Jeff, I think you should consider the legal aspect of doing the frame yourself.
You might consider getting on www.escapees.com for more sources of good info, both forums are great.

SIBERNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:13 AM   #3

OK, 2nd reply, sorry.
I am a DIY guy myself (see webshots below). I spent 20 yrs in insurance claims, and I think if something failed in your conversion that hurt or killed someone (like a frame modification by a non-professional), you'd be paying for it the rest of your life. Even with my (IMHO) experience , I would not do the frame myself. Sub it to a shop & do the rest yourself. Then you have a legal course of action and peace of mind. Consider standing in front of 12 idiots & saying you did it yourself, 20 tons and 65 MPH.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #4

Thanks SIBERNUT. I looked up the suggested forum and found pics of your volvo. Looks nice... I did not say but I am a Body Shop Owner and have cut many a car in half every way. While that does not qualify me for a chassis cutting and extension, I am studing the process and feel very good about the outcome. I am aware of the legal rams and know I will be the manufacturer. Its done every day so I want to do my own. I don't want to be hardheaded though. Any help out there for me???? Thanks JEFF
Old 12-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #5

I too owned a body shop. It sounds like you are well qualified to do the job, but like I say, you can be sued for almost anything.
If I were to do that job, I would consider buying a frame section to sleeve it with, like dumps & mixers have. Many mfr's make a dump/mixer chassis, and they are doubled up. There is a guy on Escapees (butler motorcoach LLC) that does that stuff I believe. Put a post on that forum and ask him. Good luck with your project, and send pics to somewhere we can see them!
Old 12-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #6

Hey thanks SIBERNUT. I don't know if I can even navigate this site correctly so I will have to consider you words of wisdom on the DIY frame splice. I have a month or so before I start so I will look around. Im sure to have many other normal questions and will find the answer to some just reading about others... Thanks again I will take pics for the record. JEFF
Old 12-31-2004, 05:16 AM   #7

Jeff, there's LOTS of experience on both forums you can tap into. Sometimes I find the Escapee's forum more user-friendly, this one bumps me out a lot. If I can help, send me a "private message" (I know you can do this on SKP's) & we can communicate off the forums. I am in Baltimore.
Have a great New Year!
Old 12-31-2004, 09:27 PM   #8

Jeff, the only chassis modifier that I know is certified by Freightliner is VRT, just north of Elkhart Indiana in Michigan. I've seen their work, they do a great job. Renegade, United Specialties and others send their chassis' there to be stretched.
Contact Tyson at (800)482-1839

Bob

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote