Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM   #11

I hate to sound so ill informed but can you really dump the air and still move these vehicles? I thought you could only dump the air when you're stationary ... that's cool if you can

SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 10:45 PM   #12

What are those reprocussions that your speaking about?...I have a Dodge 4X4 Cummins with 37's and no modification of body or any lift kit....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 12:41 AM   #13

geof,
When you use a body lift or a suspension lift, there's more to consider than just getting it into the air.
Steering geometry, drive shaft angles, center of gravity and a few other items get shanged. If you don't make the appropriate accomidations, such as a modified pitman arm, shimming the axles and adding anti-sway bars, you're asking for trouble.

SandCarFan,
Yes. It is possible to dump the air-bags while in motion. You can also adjust for ride height and softness.
However, driving with the air-bags deflated is hazardous to the health of your drive-shaft, rear-end, u-joints, carrier bearings and transmission. This is because it changes the shaft-to-yoke angle, causing a severe vibration in your drive-line.
For this same reason, it is ill-advised to adjust the air-bags for height and comfort unless you're prepared and capable to change the position of your rear diff to compensate.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:05 AM   #14

Other accommodations include: hitch height, fifth wheel to bed clearances, if you replace springs ... weight rating and progression rate, are their still overload springs, changes in handling (pitch and roll).
SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 05:51 PM   #15

I woulkdn't dump the airbags while going down the road, just when I was backing into my driveway, or some other such spot where I needed the extra clearance at the back of the trailer that lowering the rear of the truck would allow.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog

Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote