Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #1

Default bed and walls

I have ask this question before,but every answer but wat i was trying to ask,So I wll reword it and ask again.
1.what do people/companys put over the studs on the wall?ply,MDF (what thickness)?do you panel over that,or just paint or wallcovering?
2.does anyone have any drawings detailed photos of their bed framing.looking for some ideas to build the bed.

daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

I think that you will find luan plywood in many units. You can treat it any way that you want. Apply wall paper, paint it, upholster it........ In factory RVs they often put on wall paper before installation then finish the joints with trim strips.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #3

You can purchase the luan plywood pre-covered with decorative vinyl and matching battens for the seams and inside and outside corners. the factory applied finish is better than you can do after the fact, and it is one full width sheet so no seams in the middle of a panel. You can also usually purchase matching self adhesive tape strips that can be used for covering over an error or if you gouge or tear the finish later. They actually blend in quite well and make a decent repair. We use this product in a lot of our modular office buildings we build. I am not sure but i think they make a version with a thin layer of foam to make it feel more soft, but I think that would not stand up well against rips.

There are also carpets designed and rated for walls and ceilings, these simply glue over the substrate, and can be a decent finish for a ceiling that absorbs noise well, or a wainscot on the wall.

beyond that there is a multitude of wood paneling, textured fiberglass reinforced panels, and even formica that could be use for a durable finish that is cleanable. It all depends on your taste and how much use and abuse the vehicle will see.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

So luan plywood plain or over a substrate of mdf?if just plain what thickness?wht thickness substrate?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #5

I don't see any reason that you cannot fasten the luan directly to the frame tubing. You could screw it to the tubes or glue it for a smoother look.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #6

I would not go over 16"o.c. stud spacing with the 1/4" as the stuff will flex way to much. We usually glue it to the studs in the panel field, and fasten it with nails or screws at the edges where it will be covered by battens, the battens get glued or tacked in place with brads then covered w/matching putty.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

So 3/8 or 1/2" and I shouldn't have wavy panels?where can I get luan?is it spendy like oak?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #8

You should be able to get the plain 1/4" Luan from HD or Lowes, its not very expensive (they also carry the fiberglass panels). The vinyl wrapped luan is a bit harder to find. We buy in bulk to order when we need it, and I believe that a company called Patrick Industries manufactures it. I think they mainly apply the vinyl to a customers substrate, but they may have some leftovers or be able to direct you to a dealer local to you that may have some. Not sure where you are located, but the Indiana area is the RV and mobile home mecca of the country, and these are the industries that use the bulk of this type of material, you might also want to check Bontregers' surplus they often seem to end up with manufactures dead stock of materials.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #9

I am more familiar with race type trailers, but the construction is similar. The best walls I have seen on those is 3/8" plywood, I would use the good-one-side variety to make a nice smooth base for your finish layer. Anything I have seen thinner than that ends up flimsy even on 16" centers. 1/2" is overkill and just wastes weight. I have built heavy duty shelving in all of my trailers over the years, screwed to the 3/8", and it is plenty strong. I can't imagine a need for mdf behind that, once again it just adds weight. Insulate the walls to keep it quiet.

Then you can use the thin paneling or wallboard over that. I have seen good jobs with panelling, or white board, or the pre-covered sheets that dragonslayer mentioned. Stagger the seams from the plywood to the paneling so you don't have to staple the battens over the plywood seams, you'll get a better result.

I was in Elkhart recently, and Johnson's surplus had the whiteboard for the ceiling for $8 a sheet, and Bontrager's had the wall board for about $10 a sheet. Batten strips were a buck.

Screw the plywood to the wall studs with the flat countersunk screws. Glue on the wall board and use a staple gun for the battens. Done.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote