Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #1

Default Making a box bigger?

Heya folks! I just bought a GMC Endura 3500 cutaway with the plan of making it a mobile salon and a travel vehicle. I got it for a really great price, since it needs only about $500 worth of work to make it run well. But now I'm worried that there isn't enough space in it for what I want to do. I feel like if I can add a little more head space and extend the bed over the cab (ideally about 30 inches), I can make it work. The interior height is 5'7" now. I'm not sure how feasible that would be or what I can expect to pay for materials. I'm learning to weld now, and I have a tech shop membership and friends that can help. So I can do the work myself and I have a place to work. The truck pictured isn't mine, but it's the exact same model and layout. I saw some threads where people talked about using 3x3 steel tubing and extending it into the box to make sure that everything is structurally sound. Would that maybe work for my situation?

KushielsTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #2

Or would it be better to just out a bigger box on? And how do you go about buying a larger one? I've done tons of searches online, but can't seem to get the right string of words to find ways to buy only a used box without the truck.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

Well, I bet it would be a lot of work and expense to raise the roof. As far as finding a bigger box, there are lots of truck salvage yards that stock used boxes. There's a newspaper called "Truck Pages" or "Truck Papers" I think. Lots of salvage places advertise in that. Most heavy truck dealers and repair places have a stack of the papers. They're free. I would guess they have a web site too but haven't looked. A handful of guys have put a used box on their truck frames that I've seen. It doesn't look like a huge undertaking to do. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Truck paper is good one. Also craigslist works too. Use words like "dry van, cargo box, morgan, marion, truck box" I found mine on truck paper. Lots of places in the Midwest. Not sure down by you?
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum, neighbor !
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #6

Thanks guys!

Tags
box, bunk, cab, endura, welding