Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

New user to your forum, I really enjoy the information here. I did a search for 'Kemlite' and did not get any results. Has anyone here used it before? It seems most builders are using aluminum skins. I have a request for quote in with crane, just waiting to hear back.

http://www.cranecomposites.com/transportation/REF.asp

I did find one bus conversion online that used Kemlite and it seems to have gone well for the install at least.

http://www.webcove.com/eagle/summaryindex.html

oltmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #2

...it is an option and if used properly it does look good/works well....the down side is that it will weather-gain water entrance and when freezing, the water will expand and will increase the opening size with every cycle....just like concrete on the roads do in the winter. if the edges are sealed under lets say a aluminum angle and caulk is used to seal the edges-you are going to have a wall/ceiling unite that will serve you well for years....but not forever-branches/snow and ice along with a number of other hazards with open the panel....requiring repairs immediately. the cost is an issue along with the shipping issue and all the problems with handling...and then the wind issue if you are not in a garage....i have messed around with it in the past and concluded it is easier to work with aluminum sheets......your experience might be different and by all means-please write your experiences on this forum....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

I appreciate your response. Right now I am just in the planning stages. Aluminum seems to be the more readily available material, that's for sure. I have emailed or called several composite companies this week and have not yet gotten a returned call. At least I know where I can buy aluminum.

I'll search for the answer, but what grades and thickness of aluminum are acceptable for a shell?

thanks in advance.
oltmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #4

My rig is an '03 with 55,000 miles. Exterior is .060 aluminum. It seems to have held up very well so far.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:19 AM   #5

....my trailer has about 50,000 miles on it and it is scared from trees and a sign or two....plus backing does leave a few dents[oops!]....but all and all the .060 is the answer as far as I'm concerned....I have looked at high mileage FRP and other types of top coverings and I will stay with aluminum until there is a price change in UHMW and the shipping issue can be worked out-aluminum is the answer for me-but again I'm open to alternatives....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote