Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #1

I was wondering what people on here that have a truck with a floor that is 45+" off the ground did for entry stairs. I am trying to design something that is simple yet takes up very little room. Once again any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

~Kirk

Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM   #2

Kirk, If you figure that one out let me know and post pictures. I've tried all kinds of ideas but they either end up too heavy or too bulky. My best success so far has been to use a 3 step utility step like your wife would use in the kitchen or for cleaning windows. It's cheap, doesn't weigh much and stores easily.

There is a folding stair that is available, but I think it was about $300. The electric ones that are big enough are $800. If I can find the links I will post them.

John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #3

I am looking for something I can build... I have all the fabrication facilities that I could ever need. I was thinking something out of aluminum that folds up inside the door or maybe hooks on the side of the truck.

If you can find any pictures that would be greatly appreciated. I will try to throw together some solid models of a few ideas I have in between studying for finals(I am an engineering student in So Cal).
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:07 PM   #4

....think about the flip-flop steps used in a Lear Jet?...IIRC it is a two piece that flips partway out and then unfolds down to the tarmac....it has a gangway type of wire to act like a guide wire for holding on to......Or make an elevator up the side that just the bottom plate folds down.....similar to a wall crawler for houses in place of steps.....I'm working on a lift gate that folds up on the side of the tractor for lifting things on/off the deck.....as I can't jump up/down any more with two bad knees...I think the wall crawler will work easier and better if you are only lifting people[>500#]-and should be cheaper if hydraulic over electric....or you could use cable and a winch that is power in and out-if you want to get really cheap....I'm using one in my cottage from the basement to the attic instead of steps[12' lift total]......geofkaye
Old 12-05-2005, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk:
I am looking for something I can build... I have all the fabrication facilities that I could ever need. I was thinking something out of aluminum that folds up inside the door or maybe hooks on the side of the truck.

If you can find any pictures that would be greatly appreciated. I will try to throw together some solid models of a few ideas I have in between studying for finals(I am an engineering student in So Cal).

Here is the step I was thinking of, Ad says it is 36", 4 step, I was thinking I could get creative with Attachment and a stand/platform at the bottom to make it work. $251.00

Step Ad Link
John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote