Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Default Jack's 2007 INT4300 Conversion Project

I'm in the process of converting a 2007 Int 4300. I started with 198" wheel base. The first thing I did was cut 2' off the frame rails. I will be pulling a 10,000 lb 24' car trailer loaded with two Jeeps and wanted the rear axle to be as close to the back of the box as possible. Next, I cut the back out of the cab. I then purchased a 22' x 8' x 7' box. I had it custom lowered and mounted to my frame rails. I then cut the front out of the box to match the cab opening. Then I purchased and installed an Uni-Grip 4" accordion seal between the cab and the box. I used 3/16" aluminium diamond plate as a threshold.

I cut a 46" x 76" door opening on the passenger side to accommodate a wheelchair lift. A used Braun school bus lift was installed into the opening.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4657.jpg   IMG_4658.jpg   IMG_4738.jpg   IMG_4736.jpg   IMG_4737.jpg  

jacksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Wow, that's quite the project. I really like how that lift looks. Keep us posted with more pics as the build goes.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

how low did you lower it? couldn't you get a lower box? are you doing a conversion or just storage space?
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

I lowered the box 5.5" by removing the dock spacing blocks. This was done to make the box floor level with the cab floor (some fab work needed) to accommodate wheelchairs.

The plan is to convert it to a self contained wheelchair accessible RV. The floor plan is included in the photos, click to enlarge. All living space will be accessible. This includes driving from wheelchair using hand-controls, a full wheel in shower, room for a hospital bed, and wheel under bathroom vanity, and kitchen table.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #5

killer project... looks great! I took a similar approach with my retired u haul... I ditched the bench seat for a pair of air rides and cut a large pass thru... good luck with your build... and keep the pictures coming!
bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #6

Default Long Awaited Update

I know it has been a long, long time since I have updated my build. Several factors called life slowed my build schedule. My wife had major surgery on her foot, I remodeled a kitchen, went to the OBX for a week, etc.

The following pics will highlight some of the current progress. We have completed the framing for the basement. It is constructed out of 1.25 x 1.25" angle that is 3/16" thick. The hitch has been set to the proper height, reinforced, and welded.

The cutout for the side entrance door has been insulated and covered then trimmed in stainless. The wheelchair lift has been permently mounted and reinforced with 2 x 3" rectangular tubing with 3/16" wall.

I removed the driver's seat and installed the electronic tie-down system (EZ-LOCK). I then mounted casters on the base of the original driver's seat and made a tie-down pin from a 3/4" x 4.5" grade 5 bolt. Now, both the wheelchair and driver's seat lockdown electronically.

I then extended the steering column up and back a total of 5 inches. Then, I modified the steering wheel to make the radius for the hand control smaller so that my son can make a complete revolution more easily. I installed the hand controls that operated the throttle and brake. With some modifications of course.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4782.jpg   IMG_4790.jpg   IMG_4763.jpg   IMG_4802.jpg  
Old 09-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #7

that is so cool. very nice.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #8

Great job on the cab ,
Looks awesome keep up the good work
longjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #9

very nice ... looks like a great project... keep the pictures coming!
bydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Great project!
How much of a gap between the two metal flanges did you end up with for the seal?

Chrissi is offline   Reply With Quote