Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-12-2003, 08:09 PM   #1

The photo for the last couple of days appears to be a ShowHauler built on a KW T2000. I have also seen a couple of rigs built on big sleeper Volvos (the PowerCoach someone linked to was one of those). Any idea how that affects, positively or not, the construction and utility? Obviously, there will be nothing over the cab with that sleeper there, but it strikes me that aerodynamics may be better. It means moving some of the stuff around, but I am guessing thaat a couple of nice chairs could go in that space, facing to any direction, and it would work out. Also, the opening to the motorhome portion itself could be larger, if the back of the sleeper can take being opened up that radically. It would certainly be taller.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 09:24 PM   #2

When the tractor is converted to motorcoach useage by adding a box on the back-the air ride system for the cab is taken out and solid body mounts are added-if air ride is left intact it is not warrantied as per Lonnie at Showhauler. What does it do to the ride? I couldn't really tell much differance-but my friend who drives for a living said it was quite noiceable to him....the most important issue is still the air ride seats in the tractor-they make all the differance in the world...I'm currently of the opinion I would keep the air ride sleeper....with out warranty....but that opinion is based only on my friend commment who has spent most of his adult life behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #3

Like Geof mentioned Show Hauler likes to remove the air ride cab and basically make the cap and motorhome one. With about 2800 miles on the new rig I would say that there is no need to worry about keeping the air cab. My rig rides 1000% (no exaggeration) better than it did when I bobtailed with the cab air. I can go as far as saying the ride is equal or better than my Ford Windstar van which has a awesome ride. I do have Brocks air suspension up front which maybe the difference and if so I highly recommend you add it.

As for the integral sleeper. I have been there and almost did that and now that I have had a chance to use the rig, I would say if you plan to use the extra seating for adults it maybe nice, but you would have to add very large side windows to make it nice for them to see anything. I used mine in that configuration before I sent it to be converted with my kids and it did not work as I planned. Kids like to make a lot of noise, keep them out of the drivers area and let them sit in back and watch movies and use a play station. It will make your long drive much less stressful.

One other consideration is the increased length. I am at 40' with a 28' motorhome box. I see some conversions like the Powerhouse running 50' and that is looonnngggg!

Just some thoughts.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote