Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-19-2003, 02:44 PM   #1

I have had three companies quote me today and they all insist on categorizing my coach as a "non-profesional conversion Toterhome". Even after explaining and giving internet links they still don't get it. Progressive wanted $1950 a year. My POS $214,000 Safari class a was only $565 a year. Any help?

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #2

Patrick,

You might find your problems stem from your own description of your vehicle. Having been involved in Bus Conversions for some time, it is a rule that once the bus is converted, even if it only a basic conversion so as to get the motorhome registration, you never refer to it as a bus, truck, conversion or anything other than a motorhome.

Once your registration states motorhome, then you contact your State Farm agent (they are known to be favorable in many instances) or a broker such as RVAA (RV Alliance America 800-521-2942) who are actively insuring bus conversions through companies such as Progressive. If you went direct to Progressive, they would probably state they don't insure such vehicles, well they do, but only through certain brokers.

I have had to register my FLD 120 as a commercial vehicle until it is registered as a motorhome. I am not tagging it until it is registered to avoid the Heavy Use Taxes, etc. If I have to drive it, Arizona very kindly allow me a certain amount of 4 day tags which are downloadable off their MVD website.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 05:28 PM   #3

So when they ask "is it a class a?" what should I say?
Old 08-19-2003, 09:32 PM   #4

Patrick-I just had my yearly insuance review today!....my independant agent said same things as Peter said above..."Never call it a truck-call it a Showhauler Class A Motor Home"...."forget the word truck"....most of the numbnut insurance people are just typing into the 'puter what you say and have NO idea what your talking about....as long as you don't lie on the application-you are good to go!...geof-Near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:48 PM   #5

Patrick,

I would think that it is more like Class C motorhome. That is how I think of my FLD 120. I don't have the body over the cab, but I do have 2 side doors and a walk through from the cab into the main body, just like a C Class motorhome.

If it is totally home converted with no company name available, you can either put one on it and call it that when you register it or just say it's a Class C Freightliner Motorhome.

On a different note, when I took my part converted MCI 40ft bus down to the MVD, they needed to place a value on it, but their books didn't have MCI or Prevost or Eagle buses listed, so they took a Thompson school bus for value, saved me a fortune. With my FLD 120 it is a different story, MVD runs the vin# and comes up with a 3 axle tractor of 215" wheelbase, but Freightliner has it as a 2 axle 265" wheelbase box truck and let me tell you, there is a bit of a difference in the values. This is my next bridge to cross......... LOL.

Peter.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:10 AM   #6

With Progressive the class of the coach is a non-issue because Show Hauleer is not on their list of coaches so it gets classified under "other" which doubles the cost of the comprehensive. Warpath, WERA who do you use?
Old 08-20-2003, 06:28 AM   #7

Sorry but I'm not going to be of much help. We have ours insured through the same ocmpany we use for all of our racing liability/medical/equipment. I'm not sure if they are into doing RV insurance or not but I'll call our agent and see Thursday when I get back in the office.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 06:31 AM   #8

Patrick,

Have you called RVAA and got a quote?

Peter.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:44 AM   #9

RVAA was my previous carrier they used Royal then but now use Progressive. See the difference? Foremost uses the NADA and quoted me $1440. Their number is 800-262-0170. I'm not satisfied yet!!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:03 AM   #10

I use the same company that does all of my insurance (home, cars, ect..) which is Nationwide. My agent had done a conversion before so alot of the hastle was already cleared out of the way for me.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:05 AM   #11

Warpath, how much $$$?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM   #12

I called nationwide..$2042 and that was a deal if i transferred all of my vehicles to them...OUCH!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:40 AM   #13

I have a perfect driving record and credit btw. All quotes I'm getting are w/ $1000 deductables.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:47 AM   #14

Farmers $1628. This is nuts, why is a less expensive higher quality vehicle 3 times the cost to insure?
Old 08-20-2003, 10:09 AM   #15

Well I think I finally hit the bottom price. Funny how 5 out of 8 quotes I got used Progressive and the prices ranged from $1300-$3000, Progressive themselves quoting around $1900. RV America claims to write more RV insurance than Progressive does in house. Here's my quote for those interested:

Recreational Vehicle Insurance Quotation
Provided by RV America Insurance Mktg
Quotation for: Patrick Conley
Description of Unit: 2003 Show Hauler
Value of Unit: $107,000
Insurance Company: Progressive - Rated A+
Your Liability Coverage Includes . . .
Bodily Injury Each Person . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $250,000
Bodily Injury Each Accident . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $500,000
Property Damage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100,000
Medical Payments . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $5,000
Uninsured Motorist
Bodily Injury Each Person . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $250,000
Bodily Injury Each Accident . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $500,000
Damage to Your RV
Comprehensive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,000 Deductible
Collision . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,000 Deductible
Emergency Expenses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $750
Reimburses expenses such as hotel stay and rental car if you
have a comp or collision loss more than 50 miles from home.
Personal Belongings . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,000 Replacement Cost
Replaces valuables such as clothing, dishes, and other
items used in connection with the RV. $100 ded.
24-Hour Roadside Assistance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $Unlimited
This Sign & Drive coverage pays for unlimited expenses to
get your rig to the nearest qualified repair facility.
Vacation / Premises Liability . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10,000
This homeowner-like coverage pays the bodily injury, first-aid,
or property damage for others injured in your campsite or RV.
Also Included:
Mexico Physical Damage Coverage "” Provided you purchase Mexican liability coverage.
Utility Trailer Coverage "” Provides $2,500 of physical damage coverage for utility trailers.
Fire Department Service Charge "” Pays up to $1,000 for fire department charges
Protect yourself from Depreciation with . . .
Agreed Value Coverage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Included
If your RV is destroyed, this coverage pays the stated value on your policy. This is the amount that you
recently paid for the unit or the amount listed on a qualified appraisal. (Loss by fire, theft, or larceny on New
York policies causes coverage to revert to Actual Cash Value.)
Quote valid for
> > > > Total Annual Premium . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,321 10 days. Rates
subject to
change.
Payment Options: Please see lower left of Application. Make checks payable to RV America Insurance.
If you use or live in your RV more than 150 days a year, you must purchase Full-timer Coverage. To purchase, please contact RV
America at 800-400-0186. This quotation is not a contract to insure. Your policy is your contract. Please read it carefully.
RV America Insurance Mktg CA DOI License #0C66750 PROGRESSIVE
PO Box 3307 Westlake Vlg CA 91359
FAX: 818-735-6778 PHONE: 800-400-0186 www.RVAinsurance.com
Old 08-20-2003, 10:32 AM   #16

Sounds good to me. I pay $62 per month with State Farm for liability only on an unconverted truck, which is rated as commercial at the moment and valued at $15,000.

Peter.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #17

I was trying to find my info. I am at $563 a half or $1126 for the year so your on track now. I think I got a little break due to having all my insurance with one company.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #18

Patrick....you are getting the hose-big time!- My car-both trucks-house-boat-air boat-malpractice-trailer is only $2200 a year for 3 million dollars.....the only real differance is I don't carry collision on anything. I have $250 deductable....a lot of that stuff that the ins. co. added on is fluff....get an independent agent and make a deal for all of your insurance coverage-make it so that one agent handles all the details and gets all the business-don't let them split it up. I have Westfield Insurance here in Ohio-my agent is Lori Weber at Kinker/Eveley... 1-513-891-6615....I don't know If she can help but give her a call-maybe she can give you some ideas....geof-Near Cincinnati
Old 08-20-2003, 04:47 PM   #19

RVAA called me back with a different carrier and a better rate! $1130 and this one has the medical pay and a disappearing deductable (25% a yr.) after 4 yrs "$0" if no claims. It's not an ACV (actual cash value) either. If I have a total loss they pay for a new one.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:45 PM   #20

Depends on how you loose it-never think an insurance company can't find a loophole somewhere-somehow....geof-near Cincinnati