Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 08-19-2003, 03:44 PM   #1

I have had three companies quote me today and they all insist on categorizing my coach as a "non-profesional conversion Toterhome". Even after explaining and giving internet links they still don't get it. Progressive wanted $1950 a year. My POS $214,000 Safari class a was only $565 a year. Any help?

Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:54 PM   #2

Patrick,

You might find your problems stem from your own description of your vehicle. Having been involved in Bus Conversions for some time, it is a rule that once the bus is converted, even if it only a basic conversion so as to get the motorhome registration, you never refer to it as a bus, truck, conversion or anything other than a motorhome.

Once your registration states motorhome, then you contact your State Farm agent (they are known to be favorable in many instances) or a broker such as RVAA (RV Alliance America 800-521-2942) who are actively insuring bus conversions through companies such as Progressive. If you went direct to Progressive, they would probably state they don't insure such vehicles, well they do, but only through certain brokers.

I have had to register my FLD 120 as a commercial vehicle until it is registered as a motorhome. I am not tagging it until it is registered to avoid the Heavy Use Taxes, etc. If I have to drive it, Arizona very kindly allow me a certain amount of 4 day tags which are downloadable off their MVD website.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #3

So when they ask "is it a class a?" what should I say?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:32 PM   #4

Patrick-I just had my yearly insuance review today!....my independant agent said same things as Peter said above..."Never call it a truck-call it a Showhauler Class A Motor Home"...."forget the word truck"....most of the numbnut insurance people are just typing into the 'puter what you say and have NO idea what your talking about....as long as you don't lie on the application-you are good to go!...geof-Near Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:48 PM   #5

Patrick,

I would think that it is more like Class C motorhome. That is how I think of my FLD 120. I don't have the body over the cab, but I do have 2 side doors and a walk through from the cab into the main body, just like a C Class motorhome.

If it is totally home converted with no company name available, you can either put one on it and call it that when you register it or just say it's a Class C Freightliner Motorhome.

On a different note, when I took my part converted MCI 40ft bus down to the MVD, they needed to place a value on it, but their books didn't have MCI or Prevost or Eagle buses listed, so they took a Thompson school bus for value, saved me a fortune. With my FLD 120 it is a different story, MVD runs the vin# and comes up with a 3 axle tractor of 215" wheelbase, but Freightliner has it as a 2 axle 265" wheelbase box truck and let me tell you, there is a bit of a difference in the values. This is my next bridge to cross......... LOL.

Peter.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:10 AM   #6

With Progressive the class of the coach is a non-issue because Show Hauleer is not on their list of coaches so it gets classified under "other" which doubles the cost of the comprehensive. Warpath, WERA who do you use?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:28 AM   #7

Sorry but I'm not going to be of much help. We have ours insured through the same ocmpany we use for all of our racing liability/medical/equipment. I'm not sure if they are into doing RV insurance or not but I'll call our agent and see Thursday when I get back in the office.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 07:31 AM   #8

Patrick,

Have you called RVAA and got a quote?

Peter.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:44 AM   #9

RVAA was my previous carrier they used Royal then but now use Progressive. See the difference? Foremost uses the NADA and quoted me $1440. Their number is 800-262-0170. I'm not satisfied yet!!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:03 AM   #10

I use the same company that does all of my insurance (home, cars, ect..) which is Nationwide. My agent had done a conversion before so alot of the hastle was already cleared out of the way for me.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote