Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #1

Default Insulation question

Just purchased a 24' box truck and going to convert into a "poor man's rv".
Plan on just building a 2 x 4 frame out of wood, then put 2" foam insulation that I have. I built a home using insulated concrete forms and have lots of scraps left over. Plan on using 18" heavy duty foil against the wall, then a layer of 6 mil plastic, then build the frame and add the insulation. It is a fiberglass body.
Trying to prevent mold or other problems. Think this should be enough?
DwayneOlson55@yahoo.com

Dwayne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Dwayne1,

Your insulation plan sounds fine to me. I built a similar "poor man's rv" inside a 14' box truck. See my "Stealth Camper Build Thread", now on page 4 of the "Building Your Own" forum. I should warn you though. The real "poor man's rv" is to buy one used from someone else. Building your own has many advantages, but being cheap is not one of them.

Ran D. St. Clair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #3

I would be careful where you place the plastic sheeting. Typically the vapor barrier (plastic) should go on the warm side (in winter) of the insulation. In a wood framed home, it would go over the studs, under the drywall. This is to prevent moisture build up in the wall from condensation. If you get it in the wrong place or have multiple vapor barriers you can get mold or rot within the walls. Having the vapor barrier to the inside of the wall will help prevent the moisture created from the occupants breathing, cooking and heating inside the coach from penetrating into the wall and insulation (rigid insulation absorbs much less moisture than batts, but is still susceptible) causing damage. It is surprising how much moisture can be created each hour by a couple of people breathing, also all LP powered appliances (stoves, heaters, etc) will create moisture as a product of combustion. Using a proper vapor barrier (with joints and edges sealed) and removing the moisture from the interior (venting/fans/dehumidifiers etc) will go a long way to providing a healthy environment for the interior of the coach.

Dave
Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote