Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-09-2005, 11:48 PM   #1

It is 90 degrees everyday in Cincinnati now....My truck and trailer are 90 degrees inside and out....I turned on my SCS Friggette in the tractor and set it to 68 degrees when I went to dinner tonite....half hour later after dinner it was 68 degrees....in the sun....With the trailer I turned on my 13,500 btu Dometic AC when the trailer is 90 degrees inside and out.....one hour later is is 78 degrees[1924 cubic feet] inside.....R-15 in sidewalls and ceiling in the trailer and at least a R-21 in the tractor less widows....insulation is working and the dog/me are happy!......geofkaye

Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 PM   #2

Geof-
So cool IS the rule?

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #3

Anyone ever used spray polyurethane foam for insulating a conversion? It is mostly used in houses. I was thinking about sheeting the inside with 7/16 and then have it sprayed, then as I talked to salesman we desided that putting up the outside skin and then spraying it would be better. The R value is about the same as rigid foam, however it would add structure and seal all cracks and leaks. My concern is it pushing out on the outside skin making it look bad.

I already ordered and recieved the foil foam form [URL=http://www.insulation4less.com]and plan on using it. I should have a R-23 in my walls and roof with a R-30 on my floor. I'm going to put down the foil foam then my 3/4 on the floor then another layer of foil foam. You can't over insulate in my opinion.

Let me know your opinion on the spray?
RBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 PM   #4

....I just had my new-old cottage[1923] sprayed with polyisocynate-as well as my home in Mariemont ,Ohio.....I have a friend in the business.....three things to consider.....1.0 can you stand for the outside of the trailer to be bowed between each stud?.....2.0 it retails for $1.25 a board foot? .....I won't tell you cost on 2# foam cuz you will kill the installer.....I have ridgid foam sheets glued into stud cavities -my cost of that first inch of foam is 32 cents per board foot ....the second inch on top of the studs is 32 cents per board foot....so for 64 cents for 2 board feett I saved more than 50% of the first inch and got the second inch for free all things considered.....I'd do foam sheets -one for cost and two so the sides don't deform from the heat generated during application......which the installer didn't think of....I'm betting....geofkaye-who just may get into the foam business to keep busy....
Old 02-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #5

.....bubble wrap is only used where there is very litttle space to insulate and it only has a 5 year life span at best as it does degrade....vibration and rubbing cause the problem.....geofkaye
Old 02-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #6

That is what I was afraid of, bowing the sides. Back to the way I planned and I'm glad. So I take it you are not a fan of the foil foam? Thanks again for the help.
RBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #7

......no way i believe in the bubble wraps.....I only consider something I know will work everytime and is not position sensitive.....just read the lable or go to their website and try to figure out what they are trying to get across......To me it sounds like tecno-bullsh8t....and that right there turns me off to any product in an instant.....I won't put the faith in something that is written in that fashion.......NOW if you use foil covered polyisocynate foam sheets -you are going to be sucessful in insulating your vehicle as they are waterproof-will not degrade because of vibration-don't squeek like polystyrene does and will not turn to powder in the wall cavity.....I get mine off the shelf at Home Depot.... 1"X 4X8 = $10.80 here in CincashittyOhio.....the commercial product manager is a friend and I get all the jangs and broken sheets.....cuz we cut them up to fit all the time....fit them somewhat snug-cut with a table or panel saw and custom fit each piece....any gaps you have to use spray can foam and trim in the A.M......geofkaye