Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

Lightbulb Independent Trailer Suspension?

All of the commercial trailers I've seen have solid axle suspensions. Has anyone seen any that are independent suspension or has anyone modified any to be independent suspension?
I'm asking because on the regular RV sites people mention the high end trailers with independent suspension ride and pull better. I was thinking that since the commercial trailer will not be anywhere near it's max weight rating because it will be converted to an RV, it would be feasible to install/fabricate an independent suspenion if they are not commercially available.
Let me know your thoughts on this subject and any pros vs. cons on independent vs. solid axle. Thanks.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #2

are you refering to a torsion axle? or trulyindependent axles, I saw a new design trailer for hauing cars and bulk goods, it was wider than a standard trailer but had so real advantages. give me a while I might be able to find a link
-blizz

Old 03-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Default Re:Independent suspension

I don't think a torsion axle would be strong enough for a commercial sized trailer, but I could be wrong. I was thinking more like a true independent a-arm type suspension (or something like that) where each wheel floats independently of the others. I don't know if this would be a benefit on a big RV trailer like this, I just wanted to run the idea by everyone and get some feedback from others who have more knowledge of this area.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #4

yep a arm but not how you think they would be. stay tuned got some google-ing to do for ya.

found it, Dallas Smith Corp.

http://dallassmithcorp.com/infodownl...orpHwySfty.pdf

http://dallassmithcorp.com/

cool idea I think
-blizz
Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzardND View Post
yep a arm but not how you think they would be. stay tuned got some google-ing to do for ya.

found it, Dallas Smith Corp.

http://dallassmithcorp.com/infodownl...orpHwySfty.pdf

Dallas Smith Corp - Low Floor Buses, Vans, Trucks, Chassis Cabs, Trailers, and Components

cool idea I think
-blizz
Great info Blizz!!! I love the low floor trailers, they would make great RV conversions! The report clearly shows much greater stability and control with the independent suspension. Thanks for the research, perfect!
Old 03-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #6

So, that study was done in '98. What has happened since then? I've never seen, or even heard of, a axeless trailer. It seems like a no brainer from reading that study. And for sure a good idea for a camper. Let's go. I bet Blizz could build on pretty good.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Did you see the radical dropped F450 they designed that is converted to front wheel drive. Very different! Looking over the site it looks like Wabash has licensed their Drop suspension design for use in building some moving trailers. I'll have to keep a better watch on the road to see if I notice any.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
Great info Blizz!!! I love the low floor trailers, they would make great RV conversions! The report clearly shows much greater stability and control with the independent suspension. Thanks for the research, perfect!
The thought that I came up with is road trains for regional or cross country Passenger service, think a long low wide trailer with 8' sidewalls folks step on the bus low, stow there stuff in overhead bins like an airplane or up front in the luggage storage over the 5th wheel. think 60-65 ft long trailer.

the wider trailer allows for wider seats, a wider center isle and much safer roll over stability.
Think movies in back of each seat, bathroom and maybe a attendent for food or drink service.

These trailers would be a bunch safer, cheaper to pull and any tractor could pull it. I'd prefer a International LoneStar as it looks like a train engine.

of course this will never happen as it would compete with light rail wet dreams, at a far less expensive price tag, hell PRIVATE money for profit!

blizz
Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

Default Road Trains

Would be like the semi trailer trains you see being pulled in the Australian outback :-)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #10

Have you seen the troop transport trailers the army uses? Eric rode all over Fort Benning in them. I'll see if he's got any pictures. They pull them with a regular semi-truck I think.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Have you seen the troop transport trailers the army uses? Eric rode all over Fort Benning in them. I'll see if he's got any pictures. They pull them with a regular semi-truck I think.
When I was in the Navy stationed at the yards in Philly they had "cattle cars" they used to transport us across the base to school from the barracks. It was an enclosed trailer with side doors that you stood up in and had hand rails along the roof to hold on to. Definately not built for safety but they used them daily to move us around.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #12

Sounds like the same trailers. They also had some pretty big windows in theirs if I remember correctly. I just asked him if he had any pics of them and he reminded me they don't let you bring a camera to basic. Darn. I should have snapped some when we went to watch him graduate. He thought I might be able to find some on the googles or something.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

the idea is not new one, bus trailers were used a lot during WWII as an efficient cheap way to transport people to defense plants. Hmmm sounds like old solution to a modern problem?