Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 02-10-2005, 04:40 AM   #11

Sean,

thanks for the reply and I'll send you an email regarding your truck.

Matt

Matt Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 AM   #12

Matt, I agree with everything that MxRacin said. I somewhat disagree with Geof though - ...a gouge of about 30-40% when you drive over the curb with a new unite is not uncommon now.... I have seen plenty of used units and they generally only loose 12% to 16% after 1 year and 20,000 miles. If someone were to pay retail then that is another story. We have seen steel surcharges and chassis price increases in the last couple years that make it look worse when comparing new to used though. JMHO

Bob

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 09:57 PM   #13

....Bob:you got to start somewhere either MSRP or true dealer cost....with MSRP you are going to get a 30+% bite in the butt....a dealer would never give more than he could get a new unite for-what would be the advantage?.....If you are starting at cost plus than you could loose 12-15% I could see that....In reality a dealer is going to get every dime he can..after all he is in business and that is the way the game is played......geof kaye
Old 02-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #14

.....WERA still has the best deal around -right now-....In my opinion.....geof kaye
Old 02-26-2005, 06:17 AM   #15

Geof, WERA's coach is a good example of pricing for a used coach and how much you would expect to pay. If he were to tell us how much he paid and how much he is selling for- those are the numbers that would help Matt. I just delivered a 2005 30' coach on a tandem axle Columbia this morning. This person paid $167,000, if he were to drive 15,000 miles in one year and sold it for $150,000- whoever bought it would get a steal in my opinion. The problem people have is that they have heard, or know, how much markup is on the typical class A, it is not the same with truck conversions. The other problem is that some dealers need to retire off each coach they sell- gives everyone a bad name and hurts resale on those coaches purchased at retail or very close. I still think that RacingJunk.com is the best place to look for a used coach, surpassing National Dragster classifieds, which used to be the best place- but still very good.

Matt, good luck, I hope your military service turns out to be a good experience for you. I spent Desert Storm in Yuma training reservists, you'll probably think I'm nuts- I was wishing I was with the guys in my squadron that made it to Kuwait-

Bob
Old 02-26-2005, 02:20 PM   #16

Bob,

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally posted by rjdhomes:

Matt, good luck, I hope your military service turns out to be a good experience for you. I spent Desert Storm in Yuma training reservists, you'll probably think I'm nuts- I was wishing I was with the guys in my squadron that made it to Kuwait-

Bob
It has been great! To be here during the whole transformation from large scale operations like Fallujah to the elections has been a unique experience.

I don't think you're nuts. I spent 13 months bouncing around southeast asia while almost everyone else in the Marine Corps got to go to Iraq to topple Saddam, so I know what it feels like to be on the sidelines.

Although Westpac was probably a little more enjoyable than sunny old Yuma. What did you do there?

Matt
Matt Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #17

Matt, I was a KC-130 flight mechanic (VMGR-234), we were training reserve pilots on unimproved runway operations and JATO lanches. We were sleeping in tents while our air crews in SWA were staying in a hotel in Bahrain next door to Gulf Air flight attendants- go figure. I also flew quite a few drug missions in the Caribbean , Central & South America.

Years ago I was with 2nd Division at LeJeune, 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion. In addition to time at GITMO.

SEMPER FI

Bob
Old 02-26-2005, 08:57 PM   #18

Matt ....I just got back from a day at Ft. Knox and surrounds and the RV lots are full to the brim....In another month these guys will be killing and eating their first born....any unite that has sat for more than 90 days you should be able to buy at cost unless the dealer has a serious drug problem and can't think at all.....I saw a line up of almost 40 new pushers on 31 on the way to Knox...unite after unite.....the opportunity is now. Interest is still reasonable unless your a credit criminal......Custom builders are usually busy till July and then they start vacation planning......pound on the used market unites and don't part with any money till you get to the bottom line-time is on the buyers side right now.....play hard ball now.....geof kaye
Old 02-27-2005, 10:36 AM   #19

Uh, Geof?
Just so you know, the word "unit" has no "e". The word "unite" helps bring it all together, though.(hee hee hee!)
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #20

geof-- dylexa or whatever it that makes us the way we are is OK ---- mase

vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote