Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
DJ

Hi all,
This is my first post here. Anyway looks like a good site for info. I was previously working on converting a 2000 International 4700 crewcab for the tow vehicle but Just picked up a 1993 Isuzu FSR crewcab so I am going to make this into my multipurpose tow vehicle instead. I love the 7.3 International engine and currently have a Ford Excursion with it too but the 4700 was just too rough of a ride plus needing other issues attended to. I previously owned a UD cabover which I had bought new for a business I had in the past. anyway I really like the cabover style.. Finding a cheap Crewcab medium duty cab over is not easy so I snatched this one up cheap at a local auction. I will be shortening it and also installing a Power up and power down Dump hoist with a custom flatbed I will build for it.. I really want to change out the tranny from the MT542 allison to something with an overdrive or a manual trans with overdrive. other option is to find some sort of Overdrive gear splitter to install behind the tranny. also want to swap out the 4.88 rears to 3.55 or 4.10 range.... I dont plan on pulling much over 10K but will also use this for hauling my Bobcat skidsteer and getting material like gravel, dirt etc.... Have 2 kids so that is the reason it had to be a crewcab... still deciding on the bed length. will have to move fuel tank and air brake stuff so I can shorten the axle.. currently 23'5" of frame length and 230"wheel base... will be shortening the wheelbase too... thinking somewhere between 10 and 16 ft bed

will get pics up once I take some,

DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

Cool, another truck build. I have a www.gearvendors.com overdrive on my Vette. It works well. They make them for just about any vehicle I think.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
DJ

It looks like I can get a Dana Spicer auxillary transmission and just fabricate the install behind the Allison. 5831A or a 7231C would be perfect, gonna have to start looking around for one... not sure what they originally got used on but I am guessing older medium duty trucks like dump trucks etc.... Need to pull cover off PTO on tranny to make sure it has a PTO gear.. Then I can swap PTO over from the international. Also looking for a flattop sleeper cheap
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

DJ,
I agree that the 4700 ride rough. I also agree about COE. I used to drive Silver Eagles and MCIs. The view is comfortable to drive. The only question I have is: I had an ISUZU NPR and it was awesome in town, but the flat nose killed my fuel mileage in the highway. Does the FSR do any better than its smaller brother?

Doc Weaver
Old 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

......if a brick is a 1.0 and a Volvo 610 is a .42....can you imagine what everything else is?.....sure hope that we can get down to a .33 sometime soon as the fuel price is still $2.859 here and looks like it isn't going to get any better soon-with the OBOMO in office.....geof
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
Hi all,
This is my first post here. Anyway looks like a good site for info. I was previously working on converting a 2000 International 4700 crewcab for the tow vehicle but Just picked up a 1993 Isuzu FSR crewcab so I am going to make this into my multipurpose tow vehicle instead. I love the 7.3 International engine and currently have a Ford Excursion with it too but the 4700 was just too rough of a ride plus needing other issues attended to. I previously owned a UD cabover which I had bought new for a business I had in the past. anyway I really like the cabover style.. Finding a cheap Crewcab medium duty cab over is not easy so I snatched this one up cheap at a local auction. I will be shortening it and also installing a Power up and power down Dump hoist with a custom flatbed I will build for it.. I really want to change out the tranny from the MT542 allison to something with an overdrive or a manual trans with overdrive. other option is to find some sort of Overdrive gear splitter to install behind the tranny. also want to swap out the 4.88 rears to 3.55 or 4.10 range.... I dont plan on pulling much over 10K but will also use this for hauling my Bobcat skidsteer and getting material like gravel, dirt etc.... Have 2 kids so that is the reason it had to be a crewcab... still deciding on the bed length. will have to move fuel tank and air brake stuff so I can shorten the axle.. currently 23'5" of frame length and 230"wheel base... will be shortening the wheelbase too... thinking somewhere between 10 and 16 ft bed

will get pics up once I take some,
Please call Steve Mogol at 612-865-2777
Hello, I would like to speak to you about your 93 FSR crew cab

Steve Mogol is offline   Reply With Quote