Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   I need your help and guidance... (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/i-need-your-help-guidance-4343/)

Traveler130 05-09-2004 01:49 PM

Thanks to all the contributors for helping to educate me. I am planning to move up from my Class C to a Truck Conversion. I have studied information from many manufacturers. I am trying to decide between having a new coach built for me and purchasing a new unit from inventory (so I don't miss this summer's travel season). I am most seriously considering a 30' Freightliner CL120.
How can I intelligently compare units from Show Hauler, Kibbi,
Haulmark, NRC, Cobra, Transport Designs, (and other manufacturers) to one another? How big are the differences in quality among them? Do all dealers handle pricing differently? With this amount of money at stake,
I'd like to avoid making mistakes.
I thank you in advance for any information, advice, opinions, or experiences you can share with me.

madbrit 05-09-2004 03:49 PM

Apart from going to each manufacturer's factory and seeing exactly how they constuct their vehicles, there is no real way to get that indepth info.

I heard that Haulmark's standard insulation is only one layer of bubblewrap type insulation and that solid foam is an extra, so that may be something you might want to confirm.

There is a big week long RV show coming up called The Great American RV Rally in Hutchinson KS from 21st to 26th June. You could ask the manufacturers that you are really interested in, whether they will be in attendance. You might even cut a deal on the "Show Price", especially with the escalating costs of fuel possibly dampening sales.

Good luck.

Peter.

'94 FLD 120, Home designed and built.

Warpath 05-09-2004 04:35 PM

If you had to base your decision on the information that each manufacturer provides about their product on their website, Show Hauler would be your choice hands down.

I only say that because I am trying to put together a spread sheet with all types of information on each mfg'er and many of the manufacturers you have listed have taken the "very limit information" & "no pictures of the product" approach.

Obviously, I am partial to Show Hauler because I own one, but I also did my homework. My biggest concern coming from a traditional motorhome background was a stronger than it needs to be super structure and interior components. Show Hauler uses that mentality in these areas and takes it even further and it is rare to see a company look for more was to over do it versus how to trim it down so they can save money on manufacturing.

In the end you really need to see many of the different mfg'ers rigs in person and make a determination yourself.

Bill

Traveler130 05-09-2004 04:45 PM

Peter and Bill,
Thank you very much for your quick and helpful responses!
Mike

mxracin 05-13-2004 05:23 AM

For the money you're about to spend I'd visit the factories. Fly in to South Bend and head 20 minutes east on I-80. Haulmark, Renegade, Showhauler and NRC are within 10 minutes of each other. I visited them all in one day before buying. The interiors are almost indistinguishable. All four use similar floor plans and materials. The main difference is in the box construction. All are very different, and there are pros and cons to each design.

Standard insulation in the Haulmark is 2" vacuum bonded isocyanurate. Renegade uses 2" fiberglass, Showhauler uses bubble wrap. I'm not sure about NRC.