Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-01-2003, 10:17 PM   #1

Met Lonnie at a Swap meet in Columbus Ohio today.....thought that a hands-on lookie-see would would convince me to go one way or another....WRONG! Now I'm more confused than ever...can't make up my mind whether to go with a Showhauler or a Volvo 610 and trailer.....Decisions Decisions....build date for my Showhauler would be Oct. 1st. if I want it by Christmas....nothin' easy these days.....Warpath is correct, It is the best construction/finish I have seen and they can build what I want, the way I want it.....I got a lot to think about till Oct. 1st....If any of you guys can arrange it, look at a Showhauler before you make up your mind on a RV of any size/cost....The only real improvement I could see is greater insulation values in the box walls and ceiling but they can double it using foam panels...R14 ceiling and R7 walls....better than most housed built before the late seventies...fit and finish and quality of materials is top of the line.....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 02:16 PM   #2

Geof -

Glad you got to see one up close. Keep us posted on your decision. Do you have a idea of what truck you would use if you go with a Show Hauler?

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 04:00 PM   #3

Either a Volvo or a Freightshaker with the areo front end.....I gotta look at some this week....crappy weather and all is slowing me down some....with a Showhauler I don't need a sleeper so a regular cab will do and that means a lower cost unite and also a wider variety of unites to choose from....gotta' have a N-14 with a super 10 that is white in color might stay with the dual axels instead of single rear axel because of additional traction and stability-but then again I just have to get off the sofa and go out in the weather and look......geof
Old 02-02-2003, 11:09 PM   #4

You might check out trucks w/ removable sleepers as they are sometimes cheaper than daycabs (the used market prefers daycabs, pushing price above sleeper-equipped trucks). Another plus with the detachable sleeper is you usually won't have to cut a hole in back of the cab for the walk-thru.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #5

thanks Gary for the heads up.....I started to look today but this weather sucks and I really didn't have my heart into a search with these gray days and all....geof....maybe tomarrrow....
Old 02-03-2003, 01:59 PM   #6

Geoff:

Dual axels do not necessarily improve traction. They improve the floatation and may keep you from sinking into a surface, but you need enough psi on a tire surface to get the tread to work and deform a bit, to get a grip on a surface.

My post on building my own, the combination of aggresive tread and single axel dramaticly improved my traction on slipper surfaces.

JMHO

good luck on your venture.

Chuck
chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:55 PM   #7

Geof -

One other item to consider on the single vs. dual axle. If you will be building a 28 or smaller motorhome and will not be pulling a big transporter a single axle will ride much nicer. With a single air axle your rear rating will be 20,000 lbs and double that for the tandem. Do not even consider springs in the rear, your ride will be horrible.

I will also mention that my 28' conversion is 40' long overall with a wheel base of 336". This is lonnnggggg! I went from a 30' motorhome to 40' which is only 10', but it is a huge difference in maneuverability. All secondary road turns really need your attention and you can very easily get yourself into trouble if your not careful. I have seen quite a few 45' and even 50' conversion and I can't even image how you get those around secondary road intersections

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:17 PM   #8

So Chuck.....when you push the button on the dash, of let's say, a volvo to lock up the rear axels...how could this not improve your traction over a single axel?....you got two axels driving instead of one....doubling the tractive effort...and multilying it by four if there were Detroit Lockers or some such installed....geof
Old 02-03-2003, 06:23 PM   #9

Bill-another issue is a trailer for additional vehicles....I haven't even thought about the weight/towing thing yet.....maybe another 10,000#....I have to weigh my toad[TDI] and bass boat/airboat and figure that out....geof
Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #10

Hey Jeff, I've also been kicking around the idea of a Volvo 610 for a conversion (down the road). But what's killing me is how it will look. Have you (or anyone else) done a photoshop mockup the 610 with a conversion on the back? Maybe even with the sleeper in place? Thanks.

Dan
Dano959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 05:19 AM   #11

Geof:

When I had both axels, and locked the differential between, both sets of tires spun, this was bob tailed on a gravel incline. From what I know about traction, especially in snow, you want minimal surface area and a deep lugged tire that will not pack with snow. Don't know jack about big trucks, but I have lived in Mn for 50 plus years.

Have a good one

Chuck
Old 02-04-2003, 05:22 AM   #12

Dana:

I was looking very seriously at converting my Volvo to a motorhome, but finances and not knowing about this board stopped me. I was going to use a 610 because you get the sleeper area for free. I can't find much difference in prices between a day cab and a sleeper, and wanted the extra height and storage above the driver.

I have a sketch (auto cad drawingv- no file) of what it would look like.

I can scan it and perhaps send it to you, or fax it to you if you desire.

Chuck
Old 02-04-2003, 03:32 PM   #13

Dano....get to Lonnie at Showhauler and see if he has any pix....I can only guess he has few....maybe....geof
Old 02-04-2003, 03:44 PM   #14

Chuck I think like the military-In Ice/snow I chain them up!....rest of the time use traction controls.....anyway If it gets that bad-I'm in the lot-shut down-sipping whiskey in the nearest Holiday Inn....at my age I know better than to push it-and now there is no need to be on schedule....My concern is wet surfaces-mud-gravel parking lots-slick rain/leaf covered roads....you know-Cincinnati Ohio weather most of the time.....I'd also be looking for those "ON-BOARD" automatic chain devices that rotate down in front of the rear wheels....'cuz I'm too lazy to chain up anymore.....geof
Old 02-04-2003, 10:39 PM   #15

I went back and looked for my response to another string, and found it. Although I did not recall it, in that string, I advocated what I suggest may be the best response: a single screw with a tag axle. The tag gives you up to 10K more legal capacity; 6K would probably be plenty for all but the very largest RV. Put it behnd the drive axle, and lifting it makes for an easier time making a tight turn (but you have watch the arc of the back of the RV). Lifting also would transfer that additional weight to the drive axle, which should really help in slippery slop conditions when you really have to move (like finishing the trip to where you need to be, getting around some place to a parking space, etc). I agree with the post which says that it is bad enough, it's just time to park. I still remember taking 10 hours for about 200 miserable miles after a storm in Kansas when I was an OTR driver. Nothing like road so icy that a heavy (I was about 78K) truck feels as though it is going off the road any second.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 09:36 PM   #16

"Nothing like road so icy..." That's why I say when it's time to pull over-pull over....At what point does one say "it's time"....when they just had a close one or are already in trouble. Having been in the boat yard business and hauling a lot of boats....I learned-NOT he hard way-but by watching others....then fishing them out of trouble while trying my best to NOT say "I told you so"....and it's hard for me to keep my mouth quiet at times.....geof