Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   From Hoodoo Valley Idaho. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/hoodoo-valley-idaho-7827/)

hoodoo valley 02-18-2019 09:41 PM

From Hoodoo Valley Idaho.

I just joined up folks, thank you for having me. I'm converting a truck to a tiny house, which I'll start a second thread detailing that, as well as asking questions. In the meantime, I've been at the same place my entire life, and been in construction and welding my entire working career so I love to build things! Anyone know how to add an avatar or is that a no go?

hoodoo valley 02-21-2019 08:06 PM

In the front door, and out the back. I'll get it on my own. Thanks.

porky69 02-21-2019 09:35 PM

On this forum you have to be patient, some times it can be a few days between new posts.

As far as the avatar go into your USER Control Panel and select edit Avatar, then select use custom avatar and upload your own (max 80x80 or 100kb).

Roadside 02-24-2019 06:05 PM

Welcome. I'm south of you in P F. Lots of things to consider before you have a plan. Priest is going to be a hard place to beat... if you like peace and quiet, outdoor life, ect. Tiny house over an TC (truck conversion) Well if you don't want to move a lot or move long distance every time. Tiny house might be a option. Then you could contract the move when you wanted to. With a TC you have the option to move as often and as far as you would like. If you have no class 7/8 truck driving experience... well you might try it be for you purchase one. It is NOT like driving a pickup or a one ton, ect. Living where you do... this not the same as other parts of our country, nice that you could come and visit.....but don't stay,(for the most part). Working on the road... gets to be quite challenging, and some times just not worth the effort. If I were you I would (rent if need be) travel at least six months or longer to get the feel of the road and other locations. Then you can have a better idea of what you need to go for a longer time and what you might need. We all are different in what we put together in our traveling unit to make life content. Lots of things to consider....This form can help through some of your decision , and learn from our mistakes. So ask away. OU812

Roadside 02-26-2019 10:58 PM

Thank you for reply

Hi Chris I'm not very good on this computer....so replies may take a while. Yes Post Falls. Well you are started... you have a truck with a box.....good start. I suggest that you make a plan on paper. Draw out what you would like, when on the road. How far and long do you plan to be on the road ? Plan on bringing a vehicle to drive when you stop on your travels? Bike, jeep, car..... What kind of places do want to go to....mid west, Alaska, south....? How many people will be traveling with you? If you get to P F let me know and we could meet at Super One, or where ever... Let me know a few days ahead, and talk over your plan. To build, think of it like building a small house on wheels. Living room, kitchen, bath, bead room. I tried to use hardware supply like Home Depot , for building supplies as much as I could. But this is up to what you want. It will take time to put things together, I worked on my plan for two years, before building . Roadside

hoodoo valley 04-14-2019 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I started working on my truck again since the snow melted. I added more closed cell insulation to the pile, now up to 35 sheets of two inch, and 6 sheets of 1 inch. Began welding up the curb for installation at the lift gate in front of the door. All my notches are cut in each end and today, I'll finish the welding aspect of the curb, and attempt to see if it fits in place and tack it up in place and bolt it up to the underside of the floor. Photos to come. I need to start the motor since it's been sitting for about 9 months, but wanted to change the oil and coolant and all filters before running it. Here is a photo of the inside shortly after I drove the truck home from Hermiston Oregon.

bushpilot 04-18-2019 01:02 PM

welcome to the fray!

hoodoo valley 05-15-2019 10:13 PM

Took more phote's here lately showing some of the work I've been doing on my project.

hoodoo valley 05-21-2019 12:38 AM

Bought more rigid insulation. Started fiber glassing the original wood deck. Still designing things in my head. Photos have been taken of progress at this point.

hoodoo valley 05-21-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 48505)
welcome to the fray!

Thank you sir!

hoodoo valley 05-27-2019 08:52 AM

Really a bummer that there's not more traffic here.

hoodoo valley 06-04-2019 11:19 PM

Have reached alf way point on fiberglassing the floor. Another 2 pads and then we start building second floor, utilizing rigid insulation.

samcrimm 06-06-2019 08:05 PM

So you used fiberglass for weather proofing the floor? My Renegade uses gal. metal.
Got pictures to share?

Sam

hoodoo valley 06-08-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samcrimm (Post 48536)
So you used fiberglass for weather proofing the floor? My Renegade uses gal. metal.
Got pictures to share?

Sam

Pictures are coming, but yes, I'm fiberglass coating the laminated butcher block type wood deck right now. This, after completely removing the wood deck boards..... 24 feet long, and restoring them to the best of my ability, and repairing the steel frame they attach to. That aspect is behind me now, and all screws replaced with new. I'm a little over half way back right now. One more session and I'll have enough to frame a section of floor over this deck, with 2x6, then insulate from my pile of 2 inch foil backed, then sheet that portion of the floor, then move the stack of rigid insulation to the new floor, and continue the last 10 feet with the fiber glassing mats. Also need to do a bit more welding on the inside of my 6 inch high curb at the door opening, but don't want any heat near my insulation!:eek:

hoodoo valley 06-09-2019 09:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
In these photos, the curb is just bolted in place, but I did a continued weld across the bottom and sides, to prevent water from running under the secondary insulated floor.

hoodoo valley 06-09-2019 09:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I still need another 10 sheets of 2 inch and 12 sheets of 1 inch, but space is limited right now since I still need to frame the floor. Here's why! It's up to the ceiling! The OSB (sheeting) is to cover the wall and ceiling framing. There is a stack of wood inside as well as under the truck. Floor sheeting is in the garage. I'll be covering the walls and lid with FRP panels.

hoodoo valley 06-09-2019 10:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the curb welded in place and photo's of the epoxying. I'm doing fiberglass mats. There will be a 2x6 framed floor on top of this, with the rigid insulation a half inch off the floor below. I was contemplating providing a ventilation path via a fan (already have the fan) to circulate air if water ever leaked under these two floors. Unsure if it's needed or not. I'm sure someone will give superb advice after the floor is built! (smiling)

By the way, one of these phote's is of the truck when I first embarked on this mission.

hoodoo valley 06-09-2019 10:27 AM

Tonight, I walk the fiberglass right up to the stack of insulation, then throughout this week, I'll start framing my floor over what's been fiberglassed already. Next step is to insulate that portion of my floor, reducing that pile a bit, then once the subfloor is down on that portion, I'll move the stacks of insulation and OSB to that section of floor, and then continue fiberglassing the rest.

hoodoo valley 06-10-2019 09:33 AM

In addition to the photos above, I did a count of my insulation, and to my surprise, I only need 4 more sheets of 2 inch, so I'm $250 ahead!!! (happy)

samcrimm 06-11-2019 08:17 PM

Looking great and I have a better understanding of what your up too. In the winter, my floor is cold, but it has insulation, and wood on top, then either tile or carpet. I don't notice the heat in the summer. Now for the cabinets they get hot and cold, but the wall and ceiling has insulation too. I am not like everyone else that stores there RV I keep mine going year around. And we stay in the rv off and on year around. Make sure you water is insulated good so if you decide to go in the cold your ready or store with out having to do too much.
And your looking good.

Sam