Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoo valley View Post
Jim Beam under the counter right now.......
That's how it's done... Rain past couple days here has me looking at my sub floor and thinking yep I need to fiberglass it then put the flooring in.
Right now dealing with woes of brake problems, I know how to fix it just lacking parts no longer made.

Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #62

Are you talking about the brakes on your International? If so, I just got worry lines on my forehead. Mines a 1993 and I've been wondering what parts to stock up on while I still can because I hate contacting the Smithsonian for relics!

I think that fiber glassing the floor was a great idea in my application. Just never know if water ever got on that wood.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
That's how it's done... Rain past couple days here has me looking at my sub floor and thinking yep I need to fiberglass it then put the flooring in.
Right now dealing with woes of brake problems, I know how to fix it just lacking parts no longer made.

hoodoo valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #63

Quote:
Are you talking about the brakes on your International? If so, I just got worry lines on my forehead. Mines a 1993 and I've been wondering what parts to stock up on while I still can because I hate contacting the Smithsonian for relics!

I think that fiber glassing the floor was a great idea in my application. Just never know if water ever got on that wood.........
Well as I leave the door open for air in the summer time and rain pelts in from some random thunderstorm it only makes sense to waterproof it.

Yep I went through every online retailer, stealership, Vanderhaags, LKQ and few others and it's not available. Even called up who managed to make the part and found out they only made them for International who only put them in S series trucks with hydraulic brakes. It's a brake proportioning valve, I was putting in a line lock since this truck lacks E brake due to swapping of transmission and I hand screwed a preformed line in set it down and it snapped the valve block, been rotted and cracked for sometime as evidence shows. One more place I'm calling tomorrow and then it's on to a aftermarket one.
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0608.jpg   KIMG0609.jpg  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:22 AM   #64

Yeah, thus far, I've done some maintenance on my truck, but this year, the focus is to get the living area where it can be heated this Winter, then next year, I'll work through the mechanicals, chiefly my brakes. In looking through your thread over at the other site, I can appreciate the labor you've done to your space. Looking super tight and better than when it was new!
Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #65

Quote:
Yeah, thus far, I've done some maintenance on my truck, but this year, the focus is to get the living area where it can be heated this Winter, then next year, I'll work through the mechanicals, chiefly my brakes. In looking through your thread over at the other site, I can appreciate the labor you've done to your space. Looking super tight and better than when it was new!
Yeah it was rotted when I got it, floor made with multiple pieces, upper bunk floor made with 5 or more pieces, previous owner had no skills and the one who built it at the factory didn't either, no wonder why they only made 3. Thanks though I have managed the impossible with it of making it into what it is and got the bed turned from going left to right to front to back along with storage along the sides, I will upload pictures later in both areas. Right now fighting heat 90+ degrees and afternoon thunderstorms with hail trying to do this with no AC off grid.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:09 PM   #66

Sounds fun! It's been more humid here than I have ever seen in my 52 years here in this house. Clothes sticking to ya and all. I've been working on my truck at night when it's cooler. Welded up the rest of the curb. Frame at the door was really hard. Kept getting that borderline porosity sound and the beads on the inside look gray. Something on there. Outside welded really nice. It's just to keep the weather out, nothing structural. Tonight I go out and do another couple mats of glass. Geeze I'll be glad when that crap is done! Pushing for completion......... August 1 is my birthday (woopty doo) but It's my goal to have the roll up door ripped out and a wall framed there. Need a piece of aluminum bent up to install at the top of the door frame before wall gets framed.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 PM   #67

Doing this with clothes on, that's your problem hehe, so much better in the nude, I know! That's only thing saving my bacon is no humidity hardly and able to do this in my birthday suit in the shade.

Maybe some pig iron you hit in the weld, or that dirty of steel or maybe C25 getting blown out? Well happy early birthday, after we celebrate yours better sober up quick mine is on the 10th.

Have to see what you mean by where you need the aluminum.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #68

Had a fellow employee (now in prison) that was wanting to start a weld shop and his cards reflected the business name of "Weld Naked". I've never done that! I scarcely have ever worked in even shorts as a carpenter, but largely because I hate saw dust in my shoes, but also because my knees are all screwed up and noticeable right off, in sight. I have seen a couple guys welding in shorts. Kinda shook my head when they jumped and yelled after burning their legs, then showed up the next day in shorts again. I have however let our two Springers, and two Basset puppies out at 1 AM to pee, and those damn claws on the legs as they jump up on you....... still working on the "OFF" thing.

I'm not sure on the welding. Kind of acting like aluminum mig without enough or literally no shielding gas. I was left thinking that the frame was some sort of alloy or galvanized, something like that. I worked as a dock builder for 4 years welding mostly hardwire, but a lot of dual shield and aluminum as well. I was at about 15 on the gas and I like running at that providing no breeze or fans are running, to conserve gas, but I ramped it up to 35 and it seemed to help but It was strange, though I was able to run my beads.

Not all figured out yet, still 2 weeks away.... (smiling) (no emoticons here.....screwy) but the aluminum will be..... oh, figuring 3/16 X 6 inch, bent with a 1 inch lip at about 110 degrees. That one inch lip will bolt on to the top of my roll up door after I remove it. Then I'll frame my wall in the doorway, with a man door and window, and later on, attach a 30 inch or so low pitch shed roof there under that aluminum flashing. Raise the lift up...... covered back porch! I just wanted a buffer for the rain, snow and sunshine right at the door.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #69

Another 2 feet of glass on the floor. Next two feet will on my side, then last bit I'll be able to stand up at the back of the truck on the lift gate. Also drilled screw holes in the curb and counter sunk them.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #70

Quote:
Another 2 feet of glass on the floor. Next two feet will on my side, then last bit I'll be able to stand up at the back of the truck on the lift gate. Also drilled screw holes in the curb and counter sunk them.
At this point the celebration for small battle won is looking more victorious! Now you made it this far and have done all this fiberglassing ever heard of Coosa, if not would you have used it in place of the current wood floor?
I won't weld naked nor in shorts I was kidding about that part, though I have welded few ties smelled something cooking only to stop and find out it's me on fire.
Buffer from the elements from coming in the door, that could be done several ways though most campers have no lip or anything, this one does but not much about a 6 inch lip or so here.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:01 AM   #71

No, I thought you were talking about working on your cabinets in de nude! I've done a few things that way including cleaning the house, washing dishes etc. My wife is disabled so I have to do all that.

Make no mistake about it, I would have used the composite if I could have afforded it. At the time, I was on a real budget (my truck is a Budget rental) or should I say, just about zero budget. I revamped the wood the best I could, using the polyester body filler in all the gouges and cracks, and plate jointed a piece of trex decking over where the one wheel well is (There is no hump, the floor is flat) to address a bit of slight rot. I'll probably undercoat the bottom side even though the wood has been clear coated, and I sealed the wood to steel frame portions. The undercoat will be next year though.

Now, I know this is going to sound silly, but when I was a youngster (say 9 years old) I wanted to be a train engineer. The train always would stop on the siding at the end of my driveway, to wait for another to pass, and like any pesky kid back then (we're talking 1970's and I miss those times!) I would walk out and badger the crew!. I was invited up into the cab and sit in the drivers seat several times. I absolutely loved sitting up there with that view! Standing in the back of my truck, some 4 plus feet off the ground, kind of gave me that same sense, and so I wanted to kind of showcase it, by adding a visor out my back window. This truck is going to be my sanctuary!
Old 07-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #72

Quote:
No, I thought you were talking about working on your cabinets in de nude! I've done a few things that way including cleaning the house, washing dishes etc. My wife is disabled so I have to do all that.

Make no mistake about it, I would have used the composite if I could have afforded it. At the time, I was on a real budget (my truck is a Budget rental) or should I say, just about zero budget. I revamped the wood the best I could, using the polyester body filler in all the gouges and cracks, and plate jointed a piece of trex decking over where the one wheel well is (There is no hump, the floor is flat) to address a bit of slight rot. I'll probably undercoat the bottom side even though the wood has been clear coated, and I sealed the wood to steel frame portions. The undercoat will be next year though.

Now, I know this is going to sound silly, but when I was a youngster (say 9 years old) I wanted to be a train engineer. The train always would stop on the siding at the end of my driveway, to wait for another to pass, and like any pesky kid back then (we're talking 1970's and I miss those times!) I would walk out and badger the crew!. I was invited up into the cab and sit in the drivers seat several times. I absolutely loved sitting up there with that view! Standing in the back of my truck, some 4 plus feet off the ground, kind of gave me that same sense, and so I wanted to kind of showcase it, by adding a visor out my back window. This truck is going to be my sanctuary!
Yep I am building these in the nude and then some.

I understand the budget dilemma as it's fixed income here too and you run with what you got, could of would of should of isn't going to work.

Guess you could always go to train yard and take measurements off a locomotive visor of where the overhang from the window is to mock up for your door overhang, the local yard master would just love you.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
Yep I am building these in the nude and then some.

I understand the budget dilemma as it's fixed income here too and you run with what you got, could of would of should of isn't going to work.

Guess you could always go to train yard and take measurements off a locomotive visor of where the overhang from the window is to mock up for your door overhang, the local yard master would just love you.
These days, In this nutty world, they'd probably arrest me as soon as I stepped foot! Things ain't the same anymore.

Yeah, it amazes me. I've built things from homes, to commercial projects to airplane hangers and everything in between and it amazes me how some folks have no concerns about money when it comes to building their shit until it comes to paying the workers. I did a house back in the 1990s where the homeowner bought a $7,000 tub faucet, but always complained about running out of money come my payday.

I do the best I can on my build. Luckily, I have a crap ton of materials from jobs I did. This includes a brand new full light door, an antique sink and pedestal, electrical and plumbing supplies, and so on. I'd really love to install F.R.P. to the interior to almost certainly kill vapor from penetrating the walls, but it's almost $35 a sheet! Searching for cheaper alternatives.........
Old 07-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #74

Fiberglass on floor completed 1 AM this morning. Tonight will be installing the rest of my bamboo runners, cutting the last 10 feet of rim, lay it out, then scatter my remaining 7 floor joists, already made up.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #75

Quote:
Fiberglass on floor completed 1 AM this morning. Tonight will be installing the rest of my bamboo runners, cutting the last 10 feet of rim, lay it out, then scatter my remaining 7 floor joists, already made up.
And you actually made it here to type this, you didn't drink enough for your celebration with the wine or it was too low in alcohol content
Old 07-18-2019, 12:20 AM   #76

I needed to be able to run a table saw that night! Here's the latest phote's....

By the way, those smart phones piss me the truck off. Just do not understand them things. Every time I use it, it does something different. I take photos with the phone, then send the photo to my email. Click on the photos and the son of a buck vanishes. Then the emoticons appear and then gone. Right now.... GONE! WTF?

(Okay....rant off)
Attached Thumbnails
uy4qu.jpg   ukiuo57.jpg   uykoe6o.jpg  
Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #77

Either A the emailed photo went to spam, B it didn’t load up all the way and need more time to do so or reload or C it got deleted. So when any water builds up you got holes for it to drain out the bottom?
Only under (Go Advanced) is the smile faces on.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:01 AM   #78

SORRY for the delay. Been horribly swamped.

The photos make it to my email, and they come up nice and large. Second time I click on them, they are 3 inches by 3 inches. Third time I click on the pictures, they are a 1/4 inch square of black with a white X. Another thing is that the first time I click on the photos in my email, I see all of them, then second time, it's one or two photos. Every time I turn around, things keep changing on the phone too One minute I have a "Camera" button. Next time it's a "Camera" button included with "google photos" button. Just not puter savoy. Period!

On the truck, all floor joists are installed. Need center clips, that's tonight. Sunday, I start in on the rest of the insulation.

Photos coming soon!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #79

And here are the photo's of the last remaining 10 feet of floor framing detail....
Attached Thumbnails
h64j46ujuj.jpg   mailservicety5y535.jpg   u6teole56ke.jpg   uykoe6o.jpg  
Old 07-21-2019, 12:10 AM   #80

Place is going to last longer than you and your kids...