Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Here we go (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/here-we-go-7083/)

Rick W 03-02-2013 01:53 PM

Here we go

I have a 2008 Class 8 Freightliner Century Straight Truck/Expeditor W/ 72" sleeper and 22' box. I am looking to convert 12' of the box into a living area and 10' of the rear into a toy hauler/garage. I'm not rich, but I have funds available. Any ideahttps://www.truckconversion.net/attac...epic5587_1.gifs appreciated.

volvoman 03-02-2013 02:53 PM

are you going to try to access box from cab? are you keeping sleeping area in sleeper? tell us a little more about you plans. what items do you want in living quarters? picture covered bottom line on what you want.

Rick W 03-02-2013 05:19 PM

Yes, I plan on accessing the box from the sleeper. Don't think I will use the sleeper as a sleeping area cause I want a full sized bed. Also I would like a shower, stove/oven, microwave,sink,toilet,fridge, and a side door w/ steps, plus a divider from the garage area. I plan on living in this full time while doing a RV/Campsite Management gig. Thanks for replying.

volvoman 03-03-2013 10:29 PM

your going to have same problem that i have. i used sleeper for dinett area. table makes in to a bed. i used 16' for kitchen, bathroom and door way. vary tight area with only 1 chair. i dont know your going to get a big bed in that area and have enough room for every thing else. plan it out on paper and i used cut outs of cardboard to see how it would be on floor. i had to put shower in garage area. if you would like to look at it i'm in rockford il. i have a large sleeping area above cab and another in garage area that lifts to ceiling.

Kenn 03-04-2013 12:06 AM

You might find some ideas by looking at pickup truck camper layouts. Having a side door will eat of at least two feet of the curb side wall. You also might look at the combination bathroom/shower as a space saving plan. My sisters motorhome has no bedroom but it has a queen bed that comes down from the ceiling on tracks. Good luck and keep us posted.

Rick W 03-04-2013 07:00 AM

Thanks for replying guys, Volvoman, I think I am going to use the truck sleeper as the bedroom after all, for space purposes like you said. I've got 2 bunks on both sides of the sleeper behind the driver/passenger seats longways, leaving a walkway to get to the box from the bedroom/cockpit. Flat screen TV is already built-in to the compartment above the driving area for watching TV while laying in bed at night. I checked out your pics on your build......Great job man, I'm getting all kinds of ideas from that, especially the doorway. I appreciate the invite to check it out in Rockford and I might take you up on that cause I'm still running freight/expedite and we go to the Chrysler plant quite often. Kenn, I'm gonna check out those possibilities now, Thanks guys...........Rick

Rick W 03-04-2013 01:57 PM

Question, anyone; My box moves separately from my cab/sleeper(both air ride), How do I connect them ?

volvoman 03-04-2013 06:10 PM

i kept saying i was going to keep air ride on cab sleeper with a rubber boot. but the travel on cab up and down has really got me rethinking about it. i'm going to put rubber mounts under cab some how. will must likely replace air bags and i will keep sway bar on bottom of cab. i think if i was doing it over i would have put door in garage area and made a hinged sub floor to cover steps.

Rick W 03-05-2013 07:16 AM

So are you suggesting that I remove the air ride and replace it with rubber mounts ? Also, I don't really want to put the door in the garage cause one side will house my Harley, and the other side I think I am gonna use as the toilet/shower area for space purposes.

volvoman 03-07-2013 07:48 AM

how far up & down does your cab travel? mine seems to go about 4". how much space between back of cab & sleeper? they do make rubber boot material that travels quite a bit. i have heard of putting stop blocks in so cab won't go all the way down. i always wondered if cab would bottom out and bang. i think with long wheel base it should ride fine with cab mounted on rubber mounts. i bought boot material that goes from 4" to 8 or 10". i don't thing i can use it because i only have about 3" between cab and sleeper.

Gordy 03-15-2013 11:17 AM

When NRC did the conversion on my Century the air ride was removed from the cab and with such a long wheelbase I don't think it matters that much.

bydesign 03-26-2013 06:50 AM

The common gasket used is called an accordian gasket... I have found them here...

https://www.accordionboot.com/

two sizes 4.5" and 7.5" I used the larger one to connect my cab to the box... but I am running air ride seats (fixed cab and box)