Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #1

I'm looking at building DIY on a class 6 box truck. Looking at a 1999ish FL70 with 22 to 24' box. Nothing fancy by any means, just the basics to get around with a Jeep or truck or two.

I'd pull a loaded flatbed trailer on occassion, weight about 9200#, but rarely in mountains. For most trips, it would be configured with ramps to get a trail jeep into the back of the box (weight about 3650#).

This is for just me and spouse.

Basics will be:

rv door curbside
rv windows
generator 4k to 5k Diesel
fresh water 200 gal
gray tank 200 gal
incinolet toilet (or standard rv, then go to 125 gray, 75 black)
110v refridgerator
electric water heater
(boondocking would be very rare, would use genset in that case)
bathroom forward with 36x36 shower

bed would be able to breakdown and store forward, setup in rear vehicle loading area

eating table/chairs would be portable in rear vehicle loading area

+++QUESTIONS+++

Will this setup pull and tow OK for my needs?

Is the Incinolet the way to go (my big concern is the run time -- i'd hate to have to wait and run the generator 1.5 hours everytime we came back to the camper for a pee break)?

Can it be done and stay under the magic 26,000 combined? I already have CDL, but would really like to stay under 26k weighted. Take 26000, and subtract 11k (appx wt of FL70/24'box), subtract 1.6k (wt of 200gals water), subtract 1k (appx wt 2 occupants and belongings, subtract 9.2k (wt of towed load). That leaves 3200 lbs for interior walls and insulation, interior furnishings, built-ins, basic appliances, etc.

Is a converted truck like this accepted in most campgrounds? Or do I risk getting turned away? The FL70 would remain all-white, and orignal on the outside, but for adding windows and RV door.

THANKS

waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #2

the towed weight does not get included in the 26000lbs.

orangebang40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #3

Thanks for the response.

In North Carolina it does. I read the DMV manual last night. Says "including weight of towed load".

When I get back to work, I'll quote chapter and verse, maybe there is a workaround.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #4

From the NC DMV Title manual, page xi

"CDL (Commercial Driver License) is required if combined weight of truck and load carried
or towed is 26,001 pounds or more. The driver must show a medical certificate if requested."

Link to title manual: http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationt...ad/NCTitleManual.pdf
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 AM   #5

IN NJ it is registered as a passenger vehicle, so weight doesn't affect it. No CDL needed. Just post on your rig, private RV not for hire!
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote