Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-24-2005, 09:26 PM   #1

I posted this question on the other forum and didn't get many replies. I am wondering what the front axle weighs on your different motorhome conversions. I may need to have Freightliner upgrade mine to 14,600 lb.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #2

Gordy,

My FLD 120 has a max. front axle load of 12,000 lbs. It weighed in empty, prior to conversion, with a 24ft body at 7,200 lbs.

Btw, what was the other forum where you asked your question?

Peter.

madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:59 PM   #3

gordy, mase sanford,,,, tell me 'bout your coach -- the box and what will be where-- ours is a K.W. T200 with a 27' box -- designed it myself with all of it's flaws and good points-- mine is nearly perfectly balenced front to rear and corner to corner -- just off hand i'd recommend the 14,500 just to be on the safe side but the real thing to watch is you front tires-- it's really imp't not blow a front tire at speed-- little stuff like where this or that is-- how much body-- how much over hang---single axle or tandem-- what are you going to tow-- i'd better quit-- let me know if you whant more-- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 PM   #4

Gordy, I weigh each coach we sell, 13,880 used to be normal now 14,600 is close to being overloaded on some of our conversions. Haulmark is requiring 16,000 on the heaviest floorplans and Renegade is ordering all 16,000 fronts. I have noticed that a coach with a load that is close to max will give a very nice ride, like vbapoopa says- watch your tire ratings.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:27 PM   #5

I have a 2005 Freightliner Century series-Cat C15, autoshift 12 spd, tandem axle. Currently set up with 22 ft. box as a mobile repair shop.
Would like to have a 28 - 32 ft Showhau;er installed in 4 yrs. Freightliner spec'd the truck and only put a 12,000 lb axle in the front, now I am not sure if this will be enough. Keep feeding me the info-it is appreciated.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #6

if gordy-- mase-- 12,000 or is it really 12,600?-- ummm do you have one of showhaulers plans picked out--- you can move an awful lot of sruff around to ballence out your axles and tires mine is 12,600 frt. and is caring ab't 12,250 on frt. axle-- that put it close on load --- my does it ever drive good though-- if you put as much of the heavy stuff in the back --- gen--fresh water-- coach bat.s-- all of that kind of stuff on either frt. or rear of tandems it'll help--- oh 'nother thing if you put really heavy equipt. behind the tandems it tends to take weight of of the frt.-- cantalever effect- i don't have the bunk over my cab so that helps me-- i also only carry 110-115 gal. of fuel -- oh consider turning your black and grey tanks verticle between the frame rails and the drive shaft--- saves bay space and they can be just ahead of the frt. tandem--i also put my fresh water tank between the frame rails laying flat plumb at the back of the frame rails --- 120 gals og water makes a good counter weight-- gordy if you want call me at 706-636-4342-- ahhh one last thing ask the guys at showhauler what they think-- {this probably what i should have said first}--the do this for real - i just have ideas-- tke care -- mase
Old 01-25-2005, 10:16 PM   #7

gordy-- just looked an saw you were on too-- email me at masesanford@earthlink.net if you want-- later-- mase
Old 01-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #8

Mase-tried to e-mail you but it came back. You try g.shaw@telus.net
Old 01-30-2005, 07:28 PM   #9

My recollection is that 12K is maximum legal load on a 80K semi and trailer combination; 10,280 was the maximum under the old (pre- STAA) limit of 73,280. It is possible to spec a lot higher, but of little worth, generally, if the rest of the weight is properly balanced. You may need to have a tandem, or least a rear tag, and move the weight back.
There are other factors, for example a maximum load of 600 pounds per inch of tire width; no more than 3' overhang past front axle (or bumper if there is one); no longer than 15' past the center of the rearmost axle (I got these out of my Washington statute book, but you can be sure that these are from the model code).
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM   #10

.....Doug I think you are correct...I have an older copy of the regs of Ohio somewhere in the office-I try to look them up/find them Monday afternoon and have Maggie type them for the list...geof kaye
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 AM   #11

I believe that the actual law gives all single axles 20,000 lbs. The rear tandems are allowed 34,000 lbs. If you spec the right axle and tires up front then you should have no problems as long as you do not exceed the tire/axle maximums. My trucks regularly run 12,000 -14,000 on the steer and we have had no problems.

Wick
2003 Show Hauler 32ft - Sold
2006 Show Hauler in the Planning stage !!!!
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #12

I am going to go after Freightliner to upgrade the axle from the 12,000 to a 14,600. Will be losing the air ride but will feel better with the increased capacity. Have to upgrade the tires too. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #13

gordy, i think that in the long run you'll be glad-- if it rides too hard you can always pull a leaf out of your spring packs-- it's much harder to add---mase
Old 02-01-2005, 04:58 AM   #14

Mase,
I would not be to sure on being able to pull a spring out. Most OEM's are using a single leaf and many of them are composite springs now as well.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:57 AM   #15

wick on a T2000, '03 , i helped a friend pull one leaf out-- guess that something to check on--
Old 02-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #16

Before removing spring leaves, one should check that the spring rate is not the only thing affected. For example, bounce and other reactions can be drastically altered as spring technology has gotten a lot more hi-tech than it was.

Try reducing tire pressures , but don't go lower than that recommended by the tire manufacturer for the weight being carried.

Peter.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #17

peter-- we pulled the leaf tryingto soften frontend ride-- this was a kingsley and a jeep wrangler or cj7 was carried in the rear behind the tandems. down the road he had trouble keeping the front wheels on the ground when he went onto an approach slab and rebound was insane--- taking the leaf out cured that and gave a a more compliant ride down the highway-- not saying that that was the smartest/best thing to do-- it just worked and he still has a little heaver front axle for these wonderful roads we all travel.--- mase
Old 02-02-2005, 07:54 PM   #18

Mase,

I wasn't saying one shouldn't, but to make sure it is the correct way to cure the problem.

For example, the old Mercury Capri car from the 70's was continued in Europe for many years more than in the USA. It was popular on the circuits for saloon (sedan) car racing. They had a really bad handling problem with the rear end bouncing and therefore hanging out. Most novices tried to cure it by using the standard methods of stiffening the springs, and shocks but it made it all worse. The trick was a variable rate single leaf spring and multi-way adjustable shocks. We did this to my wife's road Capri and nothing could touch it on the winding English roads.

You mention the Kingsley carrying a car in the back, well I saw one recently which had a two car stacker over the rear single axle and it was at least a 40ft unit, bet that handled badly with all that weight in the rear!!!!

Peter.