Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Building Your Own (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/)
-   -   Frankenstein (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f97/frankenstein-7841/)

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:12 AM

Frankenstein

4 Attachment(s)
1986 International S1954 236 inch wheel base beverage truck 28,0000 GVW with DT466 engine Spicer 5 speed transmission with split rear axle bought for $750. Transmission was trashed beyond repair is reason for truck so cheap so I tossed it and put a Eaton 6 speed in it lengthened drive shaft made new drive line brackets. Tossed the bench seat and put in air seats from junk yard, chopped the shifter that came with transmission down. Next I chopped the beverage truck body in half taking the top half off, welded a pedestal in the bottom half to hold a camper. Replaced all the wiring from cab back to accept 7 wire trailer pin and for the new LED tail lights I put in. Took bumper off or whatever that was on rear and replaced it with a 3/4 inch plate bent to fit the frame and bolted in after drilling holes for it. Took the roll up doors out and welded in steel doors that open outward to access below the pedestal in the back.

Now for the camper that sits on top of all this is...

1968 Fiber-Top built by Lynnwood Fiberglass in Lynnwood Washington, only 3 were built and I have only one left as I far as I know. Technically I'm 3rd owner as the story goes, the first owner was going to chop it up and throw it away till his neighbor took possession of it before he could. They used it for few decades and decided to sell it after hitting old age, someone they knew bought it from them but never went and picked it up out of their yard. Fast forward 5 years later the city of Edmonds WA came in and said register it, sell it or dispose of it so the person who bought it was contacted and he posted it on Craigslist and is where I found it by accident cause by then I have gave up and was going to build my own truck camper. Bought it for $500 and is titled and registered which is rare for something so old. According to history one of the three that was built was destroyed when it flew off the back of a truck and shattered across the interstate.

So without further delay here is the pictures...

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:26 AM

Pictures...

2 Attachment(s)
Priming it... This almost caused a few wrecks since I lived on a main street in the city at the time of this and sure caused people to stop and look too. Even the city code enforcer loved it so much he paid me a visit to tell me I need to move it.

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Guess I need to up the ante in here, here is some more pictures...

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Rain or shine or snow it go's...

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Houston we have a landing...

Weldman 06-19-2019 10:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Road trip...

The inside is not complete and still isn't as I type this, had to redesign the interior after I stripped it down to the shell. More pictures of interior in due time.

hoodoo valley 06-20-2019 02:38 AM

Sharp looking outfit there WM! I can appreciate the amount of work you've done. I really like the looks of those 1980s International nose's. It looks as though you hail from Washington? I'm just outside Spokane.

Bob86ZZ4 06-20-2019 08:38 AM

I think it's cool. Tons of work. Impossible for a guy like me with almost no skills. Do you flat tow the Subby?

Weldman 06-20-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoodoo valley (Post 48568)
Sharp looking outfit there WM! I can appreciate the amount of work you've done. I really like the looks of those 1980s International nose's. It looks as though you hail from Washington? I'm just outside Spokane.

Thanks! Yes it’s a 1986 International S1954
Actually I was passing through south of Spokane though I did live on Olympic Peninsula for few year. I’m originally from Texas and as of now I’m resident of Montana out in Miles City hence the MC. Funny you say hail, just went through hail storm yesterday, what joys.
Be passing through Spokane next month or at least outskirts...

Weldman 06-20-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 (Post 48570)
I think it's cool. Tons of work. Impossible for a guy like me with almost no skills. Do you flat tow the Subby?

Yep I do, it’s a 5 speed. To get skills just grab whatever you want to do and screw up a few times trying to do it and learn from your mistakes. I never went to trade schools or any college nor did anyone teach me, all self taught. I believe you can do it with time.

Proteus 06-20-2019 03:45 PM

Awesome truck!

Weldman 06-20-2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proteus (Post 48573)
Awesome truck!

Thanks! Steady working at it.

Weldman 06-27-2019 09:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Time for interior work... Wiping the slate clean and starting over.

Weldman 06-27-2019 10:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Wall cavities are little thin for my taste of only one inch thick in depth so time to add more. While I'm at it time to replace the 4x4's that the camper tie downs were bolted to to be replaced. They were so rotted they crumbled in my hands.

Weldman 06-27-2019 10:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The wood stringers in the floor were rotted to point of crumbling not to mention the million screws used since the previous owner put 5 sheets of plywood down just to make the floor piece alone.

samcrimm 07-01-2019 10:34 PM

Kool! Looks great

Weldman 07-06-2019 11:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Added furring strips to increase wall cavity depth to increase R value of insulation in the walls

Weldman 07-06-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samcrimm (Post 48609)
Kool! Looks great

Thanks, one step at a time.

Weldman 07-06-2019 11:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
On wards to spraying insulation in which ran about $1200 to do myself, could of went polyurethane foam boards but the curvature of the walls don't allow it to be proper seal. Plus wanted to prevent thermal bridging so I'm going with hybrid system of spray in insulation and cellulose fiberglass insulation. The kind you spray in your attic but I am hand picking it apart and fluffing it up then placing it in.

All furring strips were riveted in then glued with PL construction adhesive along with any subflooring.

hoodoo valley 07-07-2019 03:21 AM

Wow, that's looking super tight! I've done this sort of work a million times, and I can appreciate your involvement. It'll be well worth it in the long run. Will you be living in there, or just RV'ing it?