Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #1

Hello:
I have been looking for awhile to build or purchase a F550 toter with a 6 or 8 foot box on it. I tow a 20foot enclosed trailer that only wieghs 4500 pounds but I like the idea of the toter. Any body know if thier is a builder out thier that would construct this for me? I would prefer to finish interior myself.

maddogmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #2

Why limit to Ford? There are lots of trucks on the market already built and ready to go to work for you. I'm a bit confused on what you want out of the truck tho? Toter implies smaller living quarters with a 5th wheel deck on back. Something like this:

But, if you only need to pull a bumper tow trailer and don't need the 5th wheel you could get a rig with slightly larger living quarters since you don't need the deck. Or, are you thinking a very large heavy duty pickup truck? There's some cool runs running around built on the f550 chassis, as well as a Freighliner one. But of course it would just be a pulling rig with no living amenities up front.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #3

offer this guy 8 grand, you cannot build that for 8 grand and you can sell the GMC under it for $1500 use the 15 to re-do the inside and you are rolling,

RJ Toter
Old 10-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #4

The thing that gets iffy on those stretched 1-tons is, the front axle gets very heavy, I still don't understand how the limo companies can make a 40' long limo out of an F450 and not be over weight with 10-14 people in it.

Our 2001 GMC Roadtrek was close to max tire load on the front and that was with G-load tires.
The GMC does not have as much rear over hang to take some off the front axle.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #5

...OBOMA'S limo has a MDT under it...same with the limo stretches......watch them corner [like in "you want me to turn where?"] "NO FRICKIN WAY DUDE!".....I see them all the time around here-dropping off high school students etc....stoned footballers and athletic want-a- be's....It used to be if you rode in a limo you were very rich or very dead and in a hearse in front of the limo and smelled/looked really bad......now they rent them like cabs by the mile/time......every high school 17 year old plump tart wants to arrive at the high school gym in a stretch with a driver on prom nite-only to get drunk and puke on her boyfriend's white jacket or pass out on the gym floor.....[or get busted-naked in the back-smoking pot]........after teaching for a lot of years in high schools do I know that prom nite can be the end of life or in some cases the start of another one or two...depending......geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #6

Geof, even if it was a 650 or 750 chassis, they come with heavy a diesel engines, without the rear overhang you still wind up heavy on the front with a stretch. look at mine, even with the tanks genny and batteries behind the rear axle, I'm right on the limit without t being loaded for travel.

I don't understand.
-blizz
Old 10-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #7

...though the MAYOR has given me a list of- "to do's"....I have one stretch company in Madeira and one in Mt Carmel....I'll go up and take a look how they do it....I'm betting that the stock engine is still with the body and only the frame was used....should i get a change I will get the body builders info or maybe a pix....but my photo technique sucks worse than a Hoover......should have taken a photo course when it was available for free....geofkaye and the Rivercity Group...
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 AM   #8

Back to maddog, any thoughts on our responses?
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #9

..... I could fit you in at the end of 2010....if you ARE IN A HURRY....I'd contact Supreme for a box and have it dropped on your chassis.....Morgan will put together a unite cheaper but I'd make sure all the seams are sealed from the inside/spray sealer preferably ....there are a lot of used unites available on Racing Junk.com and most dealers of MDT have inventory from 2008 still available!!!!....I got a 2000 GMC/CHEVE in 2001 with a bed installed at cost....if you wanted last years truck it can be had for 33% OFF MSRP NOW!...if you want a late model up to date and are willing to wait...... Also call Wayland at 2L Trucks and see what he has in stock....he had a bunch of later models IIRC....also look at COWBOY CADILLAC for some deals.....A local dealer might have a lead on what you want.....but be careful they are eating their own children to survive now....any of the box truck builders will build what you want with a down payment in hand....have a guy that knows specs to look over the order sheet for you case you forget something and have to do an "add on"....geofkaye
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #10

Geof.
Nothing to do with this post, but I am heading to Elkhart Friday Am and picking up my Sterling in Wisconsin Friday afternoon/evening !!! I am going to three places that struct me as "interesting" in Elkhart. no awesome deals qupted, but haven't gotten there to negotiate inperson yet !!!
The guy came through on the generator as well, scarey everything seems to be coming together !!! Hopefully the trip home will be uneventfull, I will let you know ...
FEELS LIKE CHRISTMAS !!!
Burt
Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #11

Geoff,
Just to cofirm 060 aluminum for the sides, and do you have the part number for the 3M tape you use ???
Burt

Burt Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote