Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #1

Will an esterior something like the one shown in the 3rd picture on this page be something that I should expect a builder to be able to supply?
http://mysite.verizon.net/res085e9/
The combination of metal, I believe this is Stainless I think looks good. How practical is it to make the entire exterior from polished aluminum and stainless?

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #2

You are correct that is fluted stainless steel panels. Practical??? Thats ALOT of polishing to do. You would also probably blind all the other dirvers on the road with the sun glare off the different angles of the body.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #3

Polishing isn't hard work, I bet 10 minutes a day would keep it in good shape. Haven't there been thousands of busses with sides like that, I don't remember ever hearing much about that being a problem. Now I've been hearing about a paint named Imron by DuPont which sounds pretty good too, supposed to last an easy 20 years.
Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #4

Hey 57 p-up,

Imron is fantastic stuff, Dupont came up with it 30+years ago originaly for Aircraft. The patant ran out a while back,So now there are several other Companies that have a just as good and some that are better. If you never shot it before, DONT!! Its a two (2) part Poly type paint. Three quarts of pigment and a quart of an activator. I painted a "B" Model Mack with it 25+ years ago still looks good. The only problem back then was Gold Leaf Lettering & Pinstripe would not stay on it. It's still real good stuff but the original stuff was better. When all the environmental issues started coming around
they had to change it's chemicals around. There were alot of guys years ago that shot it without breathing protection. They
ain't around to tell about it. They called it DEATH PAINT It was kinda sorta like WAR PAINT but differant in the way it was always a slow way to go. With WAR PAINT you got a good chance of gettin shot in the Heart and its damn near
instant.