Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 AM   #1

I am looking for a source that is pretty complete about how to setup an electrical system for an RV. What I am doing is converting a semi trailer into a race hauler for motorcycles. I will have (mostly) 120v lights (flouescent) in the trailer. There will be things like the fridge and TV's and such that also use 120v.

I am looking to use batteries and inverters to power the rig for the most part. I will have a generator, but would like to use it only to charge batteries and in times of heavy demand (like when the AC is on). Also, need to know how can I hook up the tractor to charge the batteries. In the evening when the sun is going down and we just want to watch some TV or play video games, it would be nice not to have the generator running.

I have looked and found a lot of sources on the net, but nothing I would consider 'complete' as far as how everything should be done (I am probably not putting in the right search terms) Any links or advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #2

....I am all electric Mike-truck and trailer.....what do you need to know?....start with a plan on paper and I'll help you with the electricals 120vac and 12vdc......it's not much really...mostly a matter of watts and amperage or load needed to power what you want to take with you....

Old 03-16-2005, 06:00 AM   #3

Thanks Geof, I'll will take you up on that and send you something as soon as I write it up.

I like to read as well, so if anyone has any links...
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 PM   #4

mike, --- rvbookstore.com has a number of good ones and rv electrical systems by bill & jan moeller from amazon is good. NOW----- everybody needs to check out rvbookstore.com out---- if you don't have your own copy of B0049 ya just ain't cool or informed--- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote