Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 PM   #11

Huummm....looking at my last post I'd say spell-check is on strike again.....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #12

What makes me mad, is that they are harassing guys that are trying to pull with a safer rig, but ignore the fools out there pulling 30'+ trailers, plus a boat behind, with 1/2 ton trucks that are grossly overloaded.

Living in the Black Hills, I see these kind of rigs almost every day in the summer, and wonder how some of them even make it out here. I was behind a 1/2 ton van the other day, that was loaded so heavy that the back bumper was almost dragging on the ground. It had a hugh bunkhouse type 30"+ trailer on the back, and was barely doing 50mph down the interstate.

And before anyone looks at my signature, and says that I have a lot of room to talk (I pull with a 3/4 ton), I have weighed my rig fully loadeds and ready to camp, and it weighs in about 500 pounds under my combined max gross weight, and there is plenty of room left on each of the axels..

Of course, this is why I want a larger tow rig, so I can safely pull my rig, and not have to worry about being over loaded because I added a few extra groceries and such to my normal load.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog

Junk Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 04:20 PM   #13

Arizona has recently decided that if a large "motorhome" still has the ability to either pull a commercial trailer or have a load placed on it, such as a box truck with the opening rear door and a "garage" area. It will be considered a commercial vehicle as far as tags are concerned. This means that the $495 tags I will be paying for my motorhome FLD 120 will jump to $960 to included the heavy use tax, etc.

I was told this all came about because some unscrupulous truck drivers were registering their class 8 trucks as motorhomes and then pulling commercial loads during the week when they weren't pulling their RV.

As for CDLs, as long as the vehicle is not being used commercially to carry a load for profit, etc. you do not have to have a CDL, but the vehicle max. weight of 26,000 lbs comes into this and also how heavy your trailer is and what the combined weights are as well.

Best to check your home State's statutes and print them out and carry them in the truck.

Ain't disyphering legislation fun.....

Peter.
madbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:55 AM   #14

I realize that this discussion is a year old by now - but I wanted to add my 2 cents worth.

It appears, from all previous discussion, that the fifth wheel hitch is causing all of the fuss. If it is removed, and a flat deck temporarily installed to cover the rear of the frame, and photos taken with a motorcycle or ATV strapped to the deck (or driven there with full deck cargo, toys, & gear, ice chests, etc. for a weekend outing to the desert or the river) for their inspection - I would bet that the conversion to a motorhome would be no big issue - especially at a different DMV office - with different clerks.
One might even go so far as to install a receiver hitch receptacle to prove it is used recreationally, and hook a boat trailer behind it. It could all be re-converted to a fifth wheel configuration after the change to MH registration is approved. Perception is in the eye of the beholder. I would not mention towing a RV.

Another solution would be create a trust or business entity like a LLC or family limited partnership for the express purpose of owning title in a MH conversion - friendly state. The converted vehicle would be owned by, and titled in, the name of your "entity" that you control as its owner. Like a company - owned motorhome. You can own a company or trust in any state with no need to change drivers licenses. It would just be in California on "temporary business". I posted more on this subject on the escapees MDT forum at this link: http://escapees.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x...5406#401105406

Dan
DieselDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 10:27 AM   #15

Dan,
Originally in the great state of Pennsylvania, the fifth wheel hitch was the stumbling block. Folks started doing exactly as you suggest. The rsult.....Now the DMV states that if it was ever titled as a truck tractor, it will always be a truck tractor. No ifs, buts or ands.

Racing is a big time here, so all those people were going the motorhome route to pull their racecars.
stim8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stim8r:
Dan,
Originally in the great state of Pennsylvania, the fifth wheel hitch was the stumbling block. Folks started doing exactly as you suggest. The rsult.....Now the DMV states that if it was ever titled as a truck tractor, it will always be a truck tractor. No ifs, buts or ands. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what I was just told at the Colorado DMV
DSjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 06:42 PM   #17

Sad part is that it sucks for those of us who are legitimately using them for RV purposes. I have considered the Trust route, but it would be my luck that other states would go the route Pa. and Co. are.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:28 PM   #18

....All you Pennsylvania Dutch boys have to do is register the vehicle in the Nasty state of Ohio.....NO Problemo!...once you are registered you are grandfathered.....geof
Old 07-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #19

I thought about painting it black and placing an orange triangle(slow moving vehicle) on the back. Being an International that wouldn't be that far a reach anyway. I could get a hat and grow half a beard and paint Mennonite Freighthauler on the hood.

I'd have to get rid of my shiny wheels and runningboards though.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 PM   #20

....I'm glad you are taking it so well....I'd be calling my lawyer for quick advice and heading for a RV friendly state.....geof.....