Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

Default Conversion from Spring to Air Suspension: Locating Salvage Parts

I have a 2004 Ford F650. Under CDL ie 25,999. Box truck going through conversion to Car Hauler/RV-Lite

My understanding is that chassis-wise 2000-2015 F650/F750 and International 4000 series were made on the same line, different trim and engines. It seems that Hendrickson made the air suspensions for these if they were so equipped.

Other than Vander Haag's website, I've had a very hard time finding suitable cores. I have to imagine that the set ups for single or dual axles on a semi that are rated for 40-50,000 are not what I want, rather the ones meant for the back of a box truck, rated at closer to 20,000.

Any great websites or locations I should be calling? My gut tells me that there will be MUCH less labor if I find a set up that went on these chassis. In other words, they are more or less pre-drilled to accept the different suspensions. The shop I'd tentatively use says it takes close to 10 min to drill out a new hole, I can see labor charges for drilling all new mounting holes to rack up quickly.

Anyone go through a swap like this? Advice on kits or hardware for the front axle to go to an air suspension?

Thanks in advance.

xyobgyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Actually, the 17000lb, 19000lb, 21000lb suspensions were all just about the same. On a 3 axle tractor you have 2-20000lb suspensions. Your air suspension doesn't really matter how heavy duty it is as long as it has enough capacity. If you need 17000lb and you get 23000lb suspension, because it is air suspension, it will ride the same as a dedicated 17000lb suspension.

TomRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #3

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRC View Post
Actually, the 17000lb, 19000lb, 21000lb suspensions were all just about the same. On a 3 axle tractor you have 2-20000lb suspensions. Your air suspension doesn't really matter how heavy duty it is as long as it has enough capacity. If you need 17000lb and you get 23000lb suspension, because it is air suspension, it will ride the same as a dedicated 17000lb suspension.
That makes sense in terms of lbs....

But geometry of arms and shock settings etc I would expect to be designed for the long wheel base I have....not the rear of the semi.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Is it that hard to find a F-650/750 with air rear susp? They are pretty popular trucks, not just for box trucks but rollbacks, flatbeds/stakebeds, dump, and whatever else the upfitter has added to the cab and chassis.

Even with air rear, the trucks have leaf spring fronts. Only option that may exist for front is an aftermarket company like Kelderman. Kelderman is also a source for your air conversion. Just looked up, and only a rear is available from Kelderman, and it is intended as a supplement to the stock leafs; mainly being air ride for low loads and then leafs for the heavier:
https://kelderman.com/shop/?vehicle_...hicle_model=38
Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 AM   #5

Default Suitable donors...

Hi, thanks for responding.

I agree with you, should be plenty of box and rollback type F650/750 out there with air rear suspension.

When I review for sale ads I can find tons of trucks whole with rear air, and I found that same website/company too you mention to buy new.

Not much online presence or listing I can find with yards that list what they’ve got salvage wise.

Guess I’ll have to start cold calls.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

Would think shouldn’t be real hard to fabricate a systemlinks with bushings a track bar of sorts and air bags basically like a four or three link system on a race car

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote