Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #1

Guys if this has been covered please send me some links and Ill read but I haven't been able to find any on this subject. My dad has a class 8 sitting behind his house with 550000 on it Im wondering about buying a $ 10-15000 5th wheel camper and mounting it on top the stretched frame. It only seems like you would have to cut into the very front of the 5th wheel a little to fit the back and top of the cab. So this is what I need to know. I was thinking of a fiberglass shell 5th wheel because I'm good with fiberglass work so blending the fit at the cab wouldn't be that hard but what about the boxes underneath?? does a company out there make these boxes? I'm sure someone has done this mod Thanks for any help guys!

Captainrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #2

I've seen travel trailers mounted to the frame of a class 8 truck. The one I looked at was kind of a amature job. But it looked road worthy. I don't know about a 5th wheel tho. That step up portion might be more difficult to deal with. Why not just use a bumper pull type trailer with a completely flat frame?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of a small bunk over the cab. Like a regular sized truck camper that Fits in a pickup and most have a queen bed over the cab. I was just looking at the shape of most 5th wheels. Seems like u could make a couple cuts to pattern the back and top of cab. almost make a 90 Shape. with 3-6" clearance on top of cab and on back. I want to be 36-38' total. Some places I go won't allow over 38. So if I could get a extra bunk up there that could sleep 2. That would be great. What I would like is to find a nice toy hauler with 1 slide and mount that on top. Has anybody ever seen a 5th wheel conversion, pics,ideas ect.. Thanks again !
Captainrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

i talked to a couple truck body shops about cutting the roof off my sleeper cab for clearance to make a sleeper area. they said it would take to much cap strength out. my roof is angled in as it goes up. there would be 3 angles to deal with and hard to seal. i was going to build like a roll cage in cab and cover with some type of material. now i think i will just build off front of motor home part. they seem to be starting to make it hard to get titled as motor home conversion. tons of paper work.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Overall height would be an issue with a 5th wheel.
squire is offline   Reply With Quote