Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-24-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

Found this cool looking rig on the internet and was wondering

1. how you think the ride is in the cab and how the floor layout is...?

2. how many of these similar rigs are in the US and what the ratio is of cabovers versus conventionals...?

3. can you compare and contrast the conventional versus the cabover in all aspects?

I think it looks cool.

http://truckconversion.net/photopost....php?photo=373

[This message was edited by BravestDog on February 24, 2004 at 10:42 PM.]

[This message was edited by BravestDog on February 24, 2004 at 10:47 PM.]

BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #2

Remember riding in the back of the bus going to school?? Yup, that's how they ride. Kinda stiff and you are right over the axle=maximum input to you for every bump.

The floorplan up front is very restricted do to the doghouse. Moving around is kinda hard due to climbing over center hump. Most conventionals are easy access due to the lack of protrusions from the floor area.

COE have been on the decline since most of the length laws have allowed bigger trucks. Most manufactures don't even over a COE anymore.

I do like the looks of a COE, but like the old days of calling them "Widowmakers", you are the first to the scene of an accident . The new Argosys and such are aerodynamic, but ugly compared to the old school flat noses. Guess I'm biased
Old 03-05-2004, 11:14 PM   #3

Both the Internatioal 9800 and the Freightliner Argosy have flat floors, so they have a lot of room in the cab, although used Argosys are rather expensive. In addition, the Argosy has an airbag and meets European crash standards. Just smoe food for thought.

Mike
Mike E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:14 PM   #4

A cab over could be adapted to coach use by making the tunnel out of three layers of material. the inside material could be any cloth, canvas or even a lite carpet-with an inner layer of insulating material like carpet padding or some of the newer flexible foan insulation that they use on pillow top beds- the outside layer could be a waterproof vinal....Fastened to the inside of the coach permently-the cab end could be a combination of velcro and snaps or even those clips like the army uses that the head twists after you put on the canvas....anyway with a little thinking and some measurements and someperson that could sew canvas, I wouldn't be afraid to try it...30" wide at most, and however tall should be all that is necessary.....when it comes time to service the engine unsnap the tunnel and tuck it inside the coach and pump the hydraulic or grunt and lift...not as easy but how many times are you really going to do this on a RV as opposed to a over the road truck?......If there were very significant cost savings-you know which way I'd go!....OY!.....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote