Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #1

Hey guys, I have purchased an f350 7.3 powerstroke bus to convert to a mobile workshop. I want to mount a small diesel generator between the framerails. What is the best way to do the fuel tap. I dont know diesels too well. Thanks!

firmani99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

are you using truck fuel tank or seperate tank? does generator require return line to tank?

volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #3

Yes, I would like to use the trucks fuel tank. I havent recieved the generator yet but i believe it does not have a return, just gravity feed from the tank that I am going to remove. I am thinking of using a small facet pump, i think its rated 2-4 psi, would that work well? I wonder what the psi equivalent is of a gravity feed tank ( obviously it would change as the tank empties), so i usume there is some sort of regulator in the generator. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, especially the best way to tap into the tank.
firmani99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #4

1st make sure you buy a diesel generator. i don't know how many small diesel generators are made. if buying new check spec sheet on installing electric pumps. or call manufacture on either way new or used. best way i know to tap into tank is to check for pipe plug on top of tank. you will need to find or make a stand pipe to pickup fuel. other wise remove tank and have some one weld in a pickup port. keep bottom of pickup tube 2-3 inches above were truck engine picks up off bottom of tank. so if generator runs out of fuel you can still get to a station. i don't suggest teeing in to truck pickup tube but you maybe able to do it. it may starve engine on hard pulls if running generator going down the road. also if all lines and fittings are not sealed good it will let fuel run back to tank. engine will start and run on filter fuel and die.you will have to re prime fuel system. also make sure if you change filter to fill with fuel. some engines have a lift pump that will fill but you have to crank engine over quite a bit. when you get it ask and i will help all i can. i check in every couple days.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

old thread. I know.....
The only ports on the tank are: vent and sending unit on top, send and return on the back, drain on the bottom.
What options/ideas does anyone have? I'm actually in the midst of this install.

(the main engine is connected to it already)
Old 08-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #6

I assume you are looking for somewhere to draw fuel from the truck's fuel tank for the generator? And no open port to plumb to? A couple of ideas from my racing days... of course the best way would be to weld in a new threaded bung for your generator line, but that gets to be a pain in the ass as you have to drain and purge the tank of all diesel residue, which normally means removing it and filling it with detergent water to be sure before you can weld. They also make a bolt in bung like they use on race car fuel cells. Basically a one sided bulkhead fitting. Catch is you need access to the inside of the tank with one hand and a wrench to put the fitting through and hold it while you tighten the nut on the outside. Don't know if your filler is gig enough, or maybe the port for the sending unit? You would also need a fairly flat surface for the gasket/oring to seal. Don't know if you are working with a round or square tank. Either way, be sure to put the fitting somewhere reasonably above the bottom of the tank so you can't run the tank dry with the generator, and there will always be a reserve to drive the truck.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #7

if you have ground clearance. take drain out. put in a stand pipe about 4 to 5 inchs up off bottom of tank. hook up supply hose there.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM   #8

Is your fuel tank AL or steel? My freightliner has aluminum saddle tanks. The wall thickness was enough that NRC simply drilled and tapped holes for suction and return lines into the top of the tank. If you have a steel tank which will be much thinner you can weld a fitting into the top, use the bottom plug with a stand pipe (volvoman) or use the bung fitting (hot rod). The bung fitting would probably be the best. You should be able to access the inside of the tank by removing the gauge sending unit and pickup. This usually leaves a hole large enough to reach your hand into for installation of the fitting.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

I have aluminum tank and came up with another option from Parker hose and fitting. They had a fitting that had a larger inside diameter that then "t"ed off into two outputs with appropriate sizing for each fuel feed. I know this is not the prefered method, but I took a chance that it would work, and it seems to have done so. The reason I thought it would work is that my truck has a small diesel with great fuel mileage. The generator is small and at full power only uses 0.4 gallons an hour. There is plenty of fuel coming through the opening in the tank. I wouldn't reccomend this to everyone, but it seems to have worked for me......at least no problems yet.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Duh. I should have thought of that. The usual over thinking I guess. Only hitch I can think of is you can theoretically run the tank clear out that way. Would suck to be camping out in the boonies and find yourself with no fuel to drive back to civilization. Just pay attention to the fuel level.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #11

i use a separate tank and a big n20 valve that i can open and close as i go down the road if i need more in the gen tank works great
fastavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #12

Today we ran the generator and reved the main engine to see if there was any fuel starving. It did fine. looks like I lucked out.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #13

Doc I was wondering if you could give me your email, as I have multiple questions because I plan on converting an International 4900, and thought you could give me some insight. If you don't want to post it for everybody to see here you can email me at klwingard@hotmail.com , hope to hear from you, thanks.

speedyk is offline   Reply With Quote