Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #1

I would love to find out ball park prices of a Show Hauler on a chassis with an auto trans. I think these are definately the way to go.

Thanks

Bill

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 04:00 PM   #2

You providing the chassis to build it on or do you want to buy one they've built on a new chassis?

Either way check out http://www.racerigs.com, you can call and talk to Lance about the options (sorry Patrick got a dealer of my own that I like ) - which are what makes it hard to do a website with straight pricces, Showauler builds pretty much everything custom (i.e. when a dealer wants one they order it with the options they feel it will sell with rather than getting a stock unit).

Just as an example the one I priced last week is about as tricked out as you can get and it retails for $101, 980, to that you have to add on the cost of the truck (but that does include the frame stretch and cab modifications). Then again, that's MSRP - and the modifications I prefer may not work for you.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing

WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 05:57 PM   #3

Here is a working link: http://www.racerigs.com/
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #4

Another issue here is that Racing Teams-Drivers-Crew/Owners/Sponsors don't pay the same thing as us everyday folks because we don't display our vehicles like those in the entertainment business do....I've picked this knowledge up form a oval track driver who was trying to sell me his unite because of the economic downturn in the racing business this season...Another thing-sales suck currently-I was told they are going to be flat form now on....seems the racing business is in somewhat of an economic slump...though not to the Fire Sale level yet.....Dealing between various trailer manufactures this past two weeks I have had the MSRP dropped 12.5% without doing any hard negociation...."Let the games begin"...geof-in Cincinnati
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 11:31 PM   #5

Thanks to all for the feed back. I would most probably have them provide the truck. I dont know of too many places to pick up one that is a full automatic. Now it is a matter of showing this to the wife and selling her on it.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:19 AM   #6

I looked for a chassis for a month, searching FL dealers nationwide. The 98'auto trucks were non-existent. A few had 99's for $40k+. Hickory Inclosed had several of the factory refurbed 98s on floorplan from SelectTruck at $26,500 w/ 100,000 mile warranty. If you are not familiar w/ SelectTrucks they are completely refurbed w/ new hoses, belts, tires and anything else that is mechanically less than 100%. They even repaint the frame. If you buy a SH it will retain 99-105% of it's value for at least 3 years...find me a Class A like that!!! Angie at Hickory had a customer order a new SH and in the final weeks he had major financial issues. She had it sold as soon as it was done for... if I remember correctly $12,000 more than what his price would have been. This cash went in the first buyers pocket! When a Beaver Contessa costs $300k new and has a value of $112k the next year, a truck conversion is the only financially responsible option. Is you wife sold yet? LOL Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:24 AM   #7

I should have said "If you buy a SH on a used chassis at a fair price, it will retain 99-105% of it's value for at least 3 years" based on what I've seen.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the info Patrick. I need to find a conversion here in the Orange County area of Ca to let her see one to get her to by in. I know Renegade has a dealer in San Diego.

Bill
Old 08-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #9

BillD
While most wives don't care about the mechanical part of a motorhome and don't care that a truck conversion is much easier to service and find service here is something to think about.

With the prices, size etc. of a truck conversion many people would be considering a diesel pusher motorhome as an option. Show her a diesel pusher and explain in order to service the engine the mechanic will have to go into the bedroom, probably pull the bed apart and remove some access panels from the floor, etc.
Mention how hard it is to pull out dirty used parts to be fixed. Women don't like the idea of their bedroom being torn apart.

I have talked to some diesel mechanics who hate to work on a diesel pusher if the customers are there especially if the woman is watching.

One mechanic had a woman who insisted he take his shoes off before he could walk into "her" bedroom. Then she did not like the pants he had on and wanted him to change his pants. He said he told her that the only other pants he had was his underpants and he didn't work on anything in his underpants. He said he started to say "why don't I just strip naked before I work on your diesel pusher", but he figured he might get fired if he said to much.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:30 AM   #10

Bill: Also chassis service is available 24 hrs a day 7 days a week at the many FL service centers. How does sitting at the gate of a po-dunk RV dealer till Monday a.m. sound...only to find out he doesn't stock the parts you need?
Old 08-11-2003, 11:26 AM   #11

I think Patrick has pointed out the best feature of any of the larger custom built motorhomes or trailers towed with a class 7-8....you can get the truck unite fixed at any truck stop 24/7/365...and if you spec your living quarters-you can get appliances replaced at any Home Depot....'specially if everything is 120/220vt electric.....geof-near Cincinnati
Old 08-13-2003, 05:47 PM   #12

Here is a little FYI.
I watched a travel channel show on RV secrets last p.m. They toured Fleetwoods manufacturing facility because they are the worlds largest RV manufacturer. To produce a top of the line Fleetwood Class A it takes 3 days. Next they went to Marathon Coach, a bus conversion co. they take 6000-10000 man hours to complete.
Once Showhauler has a painted, chassis stretched truck it takes 7 weeks.
Old 08-16-2003, 06:56 PM   #13

Well I showed the wife the showhauler and renegade web sites. She wanted to know if they could do custom paint jobs and allow her to select the interior colors. So how flexible is showhauler on this?

Thanks

Bill
Old 08-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #14

Check out these guys.

http://www.performancepaintinginc.com/rv.htm

I talked with them a while back and they said their paint jobs run between about $3K and $45K. Mild to wild.
SandCarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:32 AM   #15

Buying a custom Show Hauler is like building a custom home. I designed a custom floor plan, chose flooring, fabrics, countertops, cabinet stain colors, windows, capacities everything but fancy paint!
Old 08-17-2003, 08:28 AM   #16

Patrick:....Did you get a completion date yet?...How are you handling the insurance issues?...What about warranty issures?.....geof-near Cincinnati-inquiring minds need to know!
Old 08-17-2003, 09:30 AM   #17

Geof, so I don't hi-jack Bills thread, I'll answer you here: http://www.truckhome.com/groupee/for...6396001623&p=4
Old 08-17-2003, 01:29 PM   #18

Patrick and Sandcar

Thanks for the information. Now I just have to find one so the wife can walk thru it to see the quality...

Bill
Old 08-17-2003, 03:50 PM   #19

Bill....give Lonnie a call at Showhauler- when I was looking for a used one, he had a guy in California that had one for sale....can't remember the guy's name or phone number now...Lonnie would-he is more customer "orient-tated" than a lot of people in the RV business....I don't have the number right off hand now but 411 will get it for you....then again Sean Clark [WERA] has his for sale.... geof-near Cincinnati
Old 09-10-2003, 09:35 PM   #20

I sent Lonnie an email and he answered all of my questions about a showhauler.. So now it is a matter of doing some saving to get what I want...

Thanks for everyones assistance.

Bill