Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 AM   #1

Hello to all, I have recently purchased a 93 Kenworth T600 and begun the exciting trip down the conversion road. I have a few questions that have not been discussed on the boards. I am trying to find a vendor for the Radius corners and the various corner caps and hardware to install them. I would also like input on the types of windows used. I have called a couple of custom window makers, to be polite i will bite my tongue, i could not afford $1000 for a T-slider. The camper windows that are used I believe are for a thinner wall. I plan on useing 2X2 square stud walls with 3/8 plywood int. wall, this would require a window capable of this width clamp ring. I like the looks of the Tamboar ceiling, How does it install? and what were your experiances with this product? Any help would be appreciated. TY, Randy

2kidsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 09:04 AM   #2

Randy, try these links to RV Surplus stores, quite a few around Elkhart, Indiana.

https://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/index.php

http://www.rverscorner.com/info/rvsalvage.html

http://www.rvweb.net/surplus/middle.html

http://www.workersonwheels.com/general/parts.html

Bob Dill
www.westsidemotorcoach.com

rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:27 AM   #3

I use to have a ton of links for all of the box components & RV interior supplies. Can't find them anywhere.

Anyway do a search on Semi-Trailer Parts.

Came up with these guys -> http://www.brodytrailer.com/partshome/

There is also a website that specializes in semi-trailer builders and suppliers.

Bill
Old 11-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #4

.....we have used Tambor for walls in department stores and other than just noise problems it goes up with finish nails and LiquidNail....4X8 and 4X12 foot sheets IIRC....been on the market for maybe 15 years so it is kinda an obsolete looking product....gives a feeling of space where it isn't-kinda opens up things and reflects lite[designer talk]....in reality it is just pressed wood with slots cut in every inch with a shiney coat of polished film gold-silver and various colors IIRC it is around $16.00 a 4X8' but I haven't used it in construction in maybe 10 years.....we used to cut out the curfs and add shelving tracking behind it and fir it out about 1/2 inch so the walls looked like they were loaded with merchandise......tricky huh?....geof
Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 PM   #5

....if I was doing a ceiling in a MH I'd use a carpet or a sound deadening material of some sort or maybe a vinal with a layer of 1/8 inch foam under it to quiet the place down as much as possible....otherwise a radio-tv-bathroom noises-or action between the sheets is known by all in the vehicle.....kids love to hear mon and dad messing around[with some vehicles the neighbors appreciate it too!].....geof
Old 11-09-2004, 07:05 PM   #6

TY for your input all. Geof, I have considered a foam backed material and that fiberglass wall board stuff. I may go that way in the end. I am getting ideas to do exactly what you were describing with the airy lots of light feeling. I do not ,however, want to regret putting something up that will drive me nuts running down the road. Again thanks for the info. Randy
Old 11-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #7

randy, mase, i'm of the same opinion as geof, we'vr got a carpet like material on our ceiling-- it does cut down on noise-- and i like the way it can be vacummed -- the down side is if a water leak does come into play it can stain -- but then again the carpet is a good insulation factor-- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #8

Good evening all, Can you guys tell me what type of carpeting? Is it a burber or something like that? Also, does it then match the upper portion of your wall material? I really appreciate the help, this is not a project that a guy really needs to experiance the old learning curve. TY, Randy
Old 11-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #9

....the problem with a burber is it holds a lot of moisture when you steam/extract it while cleaning[holds mold also]....it does not clean very well at all vacuum wise-too many gaps.....I'd use a cut pile short nap and a 1/4' gapped trowel for the glue and/or LiquidNail in a caulking gun around the edges with staples.....The carpeting on the ceiling is usually lighter than the walls to reflect any lite downward....But I have seen dark gray with red and green flakes which looked really highline....OTOH my ceiling is white painted wood and the walls are dark green commercial carpet left over from a jewlery showroom with a black rubber backed walk off mat floor for easy cleaning by vacuum or water hose....[I have a coonhound that makes dirt]....works for me and is quiet as a tomb.....geof
Old 12-21-2004, 12:52 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2kidsracing:
I am trying to find a vendor for the Radius corners and the various corner caps and hardware to install them. I would also like input on the types of windows used. . TY, Randy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought a 1996 fifth wheel trailer for parts to equip our toterhome project with. There are alot of windows left over on it I will not use. If you are interested in any, I will be happy to unload a few cheap. There are several sizes in it.
As for radius corners, I would check with a trailer manufacturer dealer like Wabash, Fruehauf, Great Dane, Utility etc. I have used the parts from commercial trailers like these for previous projects and had great results. Their repair part lines are readily available nation wide, and the the variety or shapes are incredible. I prefer Wabash and Utility due to the prices and quality. Some of the Van body parts are double rounded, you just have to look at various trailers for a reference VIN or find a good parts counter person.
Dmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #11

TY, for the info Dmms, as luck would have it, I made a trip to Colaws RV salvage in Carthage Mo. this past week. They have a large variety of parts for anyone interested. They also treated me like gold, which I appreciated very much. Thanks, Randy