Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-03-2006, 06:03 PM   #21

Thank Goodness My Buddy Gary showed up to fix all this, Along with the lithium & Little 230v 3phase. So Mr.W means no
Nose stickin out Just flat chested Trucks, Right?

Old 03-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #22

MARK!

What's your address? I'm going to send you a copy of a 9th grade composition textbook. He didn't put the words together 'conventional' and 'COE' to describe a type of truck. That's what the COMMA <,> tells you if you'd paid attention to those pesky little puncuation marks people sprinkle into their writing that your poor english teacher tried to stuff into your head. It is not an example of an oxymoron, <comma> which is one word not two. The only possible moronic aspect to this discussion is not an oxy. Take that damm patch off your eye, it's confusing you. So one more time just for clarity, the man was not saying there is such a thing as a "conventional cabover engine" stype of truck. Although you know now that I stop and think about it, isn't there more then one kind of COE? there is the type where the cab tilts forward for engine access. Aren't there some where the entire cab slides forward on rails and also what about the kind of truck where there is a cowling inside the drivers cab that is removed for access? Couldn't it be argued that the tilt out would be a conventional COE and the others variations?
Sorry everyone, I just can't help myself, when I was a kid I use to play with matches and flamable liquids. Now I just stir 'it' when ever I get a good opening

Chevy57PkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #23

.....something is pullin' on something here and I think it is MARC.....change eyes with the patch and get back to normal or where ever you are at currently.....though you are a good match with '57 PkUp ;&gt.....BTW you all can't fool me I have those letters behind my name.......geofkaye-EeD.BS.CS.DD.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Not in my rules, Comma or not!! It is a Conventional Cab or Cabover Engine Cab. It cannot be both I think what was written
is called a Oxy Moron. I am pretty stupid so it may be the wrong word and also spelled wrong.

I hate to correct you but it can be both!! Back in 1983 or so I knew a guy that was hauling containers with his "Peterliner".
It was a Cabover Peterbilt with a Conventional Freightliner hood sticking out front. Wildest thing I ever saw in a truck......

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #25

Thanks Gary and Chevy57. Yea, there is a meaning to (,) and (.), sometimes even to ";" and (!)

Quote:
and I saw NOT A SINGLE conventional, COE only.
so to make it clear for Marc:
I did not see a single conventional cab.
I saw COE only.

And I am sorry I did not say "on my trip to Europe" but I confined it to Austria.

Although I am sure that even National Geographie Channel might have mentioned one of the problems is Austria is the "pass-through traffic".

Based on its location on Europe (most eastern country of the former "Western Europe" before Europe opened to "Eastern Europe", EU, Schengener Staaten...) and its size (a whoping 60 miles N-S direction in the western part and maybe 200 miles in the eastern part) trucks from Northern/Western Europe (D,S,NL,F) going to Southern Europe (I,SLO,CH) passing through. As well as all the traffic going to the former East Block (CS, SK, H, YU, HR,PL) passing through Austria E-W direction.

So, not to give geographie lessons, (sorry everybody) but to explain that there are more non-austrian Trucks on the road then trucks from Austria and therefore I took it on me to assume the vehicle pattern I saw on the Freeways there (A1,A2) would be representative for all of Europe.

Happy, Marc?

Although you scared me there when you said in your first post:

Quote:
Has anybody Drivin, Ridden In, Or even seen these trucks in person and not a Picture, But Dumb Fat & Happy Me ???? Yeah its a little scarey driven on the wrong side for the first couple miles.
Because in Europe traffic is on the same side of the road as here!

But then I just though it could be that "one-eye-only" situation or did you mean Great Britain? The Britsh are part of EU, but they dont consider themselves as Europe, but still old "British Islands" and are (besides Malta I think) the ONLY country in Europe with traffic on the left. I think we have one member from GB on here, I hope I am right.

Well, enough typing for 1 day. Originally I tried to ignore that mumbling rumbling but as there were too many posts regarding mine I had to chime in again.
WalliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:52 AM   #26

Getting a little back on topic here; browsing around on the dub-dub-dub I've found quite a few examples of really good looking [to me] COE motorhomes. The thing of it is that in many cases I cannot tell be looking at the pictures how the cabs can tilt forward due to them having an overhang which appears to be part of the coach work. Does anyone know are they somehow hinged in a manner that when tilted forward the upper most rear of the cab does not raise up higher then the roof, where it seems like it would hit the overhang?
Old 03-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #27

I would say that, when an overhang is built over the cab of a COE, the most common thought would be,"OOOOPS!!". Either that or the genius in question has a real brainstorm on how to do the most basic (like say, oil & filter changes) maintenance items, like cutting a huge gaping hole in the doghouse (engine cover for you non-trucker types out there). Just remember, "original ideas" don't always mean "smart ideas". But I'm sure most of us knew that already....
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #28

I can't believe there are that many 'oops' built into that many motorhomes. I think I'm missing something. Hope somoene reads this and knows.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:56 AM   #29

Mr. Wallik,

In reference to my prior postings regarding COE (Cab Over Engine)and Conventional Body styles. Every word that was typed and posted by myself in the last week or so. #1)"WAS MY WARPED SENSE OF HUMOR" #2)"NONE OF IT WAS MEANT TO DEGRADE, HURT, INSULT OR TO BE TAKEN IN ANY WAY BUT IN GOOD OLD AMERICAN BALL BREAKING" #3)"I HAD NO IDEA THAT YOU ARE FROM AUSTRIA AND DID NOT UNDERSTAND SUCH BEHAVIOR OF THE WAY 75% OF RED BLOODED AMERICAN MEN ACT" #4)"AS FOR THE OTHER 25% OF THE AMERICAN MEN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ACT OR BEHAVE LIKE LIVING THE LIFESTYLE OF POCKET PROTECTORS, WINGTIP SHOES OR EVER HAVING TO ANSWER TO THE MAN OR PUNCHED A TIME CLOCK, OR FOR THAT FACT EVEN HAVING A REAL JOB" #5)"I AM A 51, BORN & RASIED AMERICAN AND BEEN VERY LUCKY TO HAVE TRAVELED TO EVERY PART OF THE U.S.A." #6)"THE ONLY THINGS I AM SERIOUS ABOUT AT ALL ARE: "PROTECTION OF MY FAMILY & PROPERTY", "PERSONEL & NATIONAL AMERICAN TRADGEIES","HAVING ENOUGH COFFEE & TOBACCO PRODUCTS DUE TO LIVING 1/2 HOUR FROM THE NEAREST STORE", "HAVING AS MUCH FUN IN LIFE AS POSSIBLE","HAVING 4 HOURS 3X A WEEK TO BE WITH 3 DIFFERANT WOMEN" "GETTING SHOT IN THE BACK BY HER HUSBAND" And thats about it. I am sorry if you were upset or affected in anyway by my comments. In closing, I am going to take some courses at the State Colleage to get a much better understanding of the Yourapeein Culture.

Regards, Marc
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #30

DAMN!!!

I can't even get a thank-you over here!!!
Old 03-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Atsma:
I would say that, when an overhang is built over the cab of a COE, the most common thought would be,"OOOOPS!!". Either that or the genius in question has a real brainstorm on how to do the most basic (like say, oil & filter changes) maintenance items, like cutting a huge gaping hole in the doghouse (engine cover for you non-trucker types out there). Just remember, "original ideas" don't always mean "smart ideas". But I'm sure most of us knew that already....
Gary
Gary,

It looks like and from the best I can gather from thier website that the Argosy has a flip up hood under the windshield that allows the driver to access all the things necessary on a daily basis. Check oil, filters, electrical buses, etc. The only need to flip the cab would be for overhauls and rebuilds.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:51 PM   #32

Bill [from] Elburn THANK YOU I'm an idiot, I even have the Argosy brochure and never noticed the picture in it showing the service panel. This is going to make doing what I want to try a lot easier I'm sure. So cool, now I can start looking for a late used Argosy for real. I wonder if Freightliner has used Argosys in their Select Used truck offerings.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #33

The access panel does allow one to CHECK stuff, but to do actual maintenance, like changing oil and filters and other PM stuff, the cab's gotta tilt, and in the normal RV situation that includes the necessary level of clutter that a family situation seems to dictate, that can be a real PITA. BUT, if you really want one that bad.....
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:31 AM   #34

I agree with Gary. That is just a access panel for checking Oil,Radiator,Blue-Juice and maybe some minor adjustments. The way that truck drives and rides is fantastic. It is well engineered,thought-out and built tough. The only problem is
that model Argosy is very recent and finding one used could be a little tough. A new one with the huge 110" Hi-top and all
the goodies is around 125K. I also feel you would have a rough time getting them to give you 25'+ of Double Frame behind the Cab. Not to mention it being a single axle. You guys should have pictures I sent each of you of COE trucks with add-ons. Really though on any COE all the fluids can be checked without tilting the cab, And in all seriousness how many time is the cab going to go tilt anyway. Not
much at all using the truck as a Conversion. That is unless you just wanna take it out and play with it, But then again there are plenty of other things that are a whole lot more fun to play with that I can think of.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #35

Marc - Would you elaborate on the issue of how much frame rail "they" will give you? Are you talking about Freightliner if you buy a new one from them or are you talking about the practical limitation of stretching an existing frame?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #36

Gary, you make a valid point in average situations as you mention with a family; I'm single and a neat freak. I'm also very careful about what loose items I allow in a vehicle to be loose and floating around. The issue of flying missles in an emergency situation is not one that I take likely. I don't eat or drink in a vehicle and I don't talk on a cell phone. Plus I'm not sire which cab configuration I'd elect to have as I don't have my heart set on any specific style. A day cab style might make more sense, I don't know yet. The fact that I have yet to even find a builder who had indicated an interested in tackling a COE build and who can demonstrate any experience doing so may well preclude a COE altogether. Just don't know yet.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #37

But in reality how much family stuff is going to be in the cab? In our 780 all we had up there was the electronics and they were all installed very securely. We also had a bunch of folders (reg, insurance, etc) but they were in the upper storage cabinet. IMHO there would not be much, if anything, to secure prior to tilting the cab forward. I don't see that as a reason to abandon the idea. My biggest concern, assuming we are going to keep the tilting cab design functional, is how to seal the cab to the box? Will cutting lout the back of the cab weaken it too much to allow the tilting operation? What size opening would we be able to do (i.e. would it even be functional)? Looking at some of those horse lorries, it looked like it was more akin to a crawl thru vs a duck thru (ShowHauler and the like) much less a walk thru (Kingsley and PowerHouse).

I have a call with the engineer up at Kingsley tomorrow about a possible new coach so I'll talk to him and see what he thinks.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevy57PkUp:
Marc - Would you elaborate on the issue of how much frame rail "they" will give you? Are you talking about Freightliner if you buy a new one from them or are you talking about the practical limitation of stretching an existing frame?
I know when I was trying to order a new Volvo for my Kingsley back in '04, Volvo would only let you order up to a certain length of frame rail from the factory. We needed more. They agreed to let me order it but the Volvo engineers wanted to do extensive testing on it AT MY EXPENSE and it was going to take 6-8 months to complete. It was just easier to buy existing and stretch.

In looking at some of the setups on the different European truck sites, it looks like they will allow a pretty long wheelbase to be ordered. But who knows, it could be completely different here in the good ole USA.