Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #1

Okay guys I have just got my first toter. It measures on the inside 7-11 wide by 11-6 long.
It will be completly bare on the inside when I start so I have nothing really to limit me.
I have alot of things already planned out but I really want to get your advice on what I should do.
Main requirements are to haul my family and frinds in comfort.
We do a lot of primitive camping with people in tents and such so I don't want to have to run the generator if at all possible.

As soon as I have my shopping list ready I will be heading to colaw salvage to buy what I can used. It will be on the cheap but not quality wise. There are a couple of things that I need to fix with the box like the windows. They are 4'-10" from the floor. So I need to try to lower them without re skinning the trailer. Also the door ont he back is too large and sucks. I would like to install an RV door with the screen and will will have to reskin the back to do that.

Okay a couple details.
I plan on using a combo shower/toilet. SO that I can have more usuable space.
I will have the dinette and couch up front.
2 burner stove and sink.
Refridgerator and furnance.

inphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:39 PM   #2

nice. good luck with it. go with a big window!!

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:55 PM   #3

....consider the window carefully....most RV breakin's are through a window-if door is locked-even alarmed.....at lot of truck stop-the next guy is looking in the window at you and yours-consider safety and security before looks......"quite camping" can be achieved with batteries and an inverter-for just so long....need to work out your usage carefully and lite with LED's and Cool food with low current Home style appliances....I cycle my freezer one hour a day....there are many work-arounds if you study others comments and suggestions....ask questions and weigh opinions carefully.....geofkaye
Old 11-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #4

Thanks. I will have plenty of questions for you guru's here. I have been researching solar panels and will make provisions for installing one someday. Most of our camping excursions are friday night and saturday before we head home sunday. So really I don't need to even be that concerned but for those couple of times a year where we do spend a week out I don't want to have to worry. I have a slide in camper that we have used for 2 years and it has been great for us. Just want to add a couple of things a haul a gooseneck too.
Thanks, jake
Old 12-06-2005, 10:10 AM   #5

Well after much deliberation I have decied that the windows being in the wrong place and the rear door too large, I am going to see about moving the windows and installing a new rear door before I get started. I am also going to raise the floor in the front section of the box to get the right height for the windows and also gives me a little more room with running things underneath.
Jake