Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #1

Default Building a 120" living quarters for semi?

I called ITC to get a quote on a 120 inch standard living quarters to put on my 2005 pete.. If I get the roof air and a generator...$49,000.00...
I'm not kidding... I almost fell through the wall.. and it takes a lot to make me fall through a wall.. used ones are scarce as hens teeth.. what do you all think about just buliding one.. I cant for the life of me see it costing nearly
50k for 80sq feet of living area... this is what I had in mind..its 30k.thanks
http://www.trucksleeper.com/Brochure...2005%20120.pdf

blkcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #2

I don't think you can build one that nice for $30K. A quality 8500 watt generator will cost $7500. I would etimate just the material to build it would be over $20K. Add in the generator and 3000 manhours at $2.00 an hour and you just exceeded the price of one ready to install. Does your Pete have a long enough wheelbase to handle that long a box?. I have looked at several of those ICT units. They are well designed and constructed. Just my opinion. MMM

mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #3

I was going to stretch the frame.. but..since its going to be a registered rv and all I will pull is a gooseneck with 2 pulling trucks on it, I and going to take the 5th wheel off and set the unit there.. I plan on making a extended hitch for the gooseneck ball so I dont have to stretch the frame.. What gets me about the whole deal is.. I can buy a heck of a bumper hitch camper 30' long for 10k..used of course.. but I cant buy a 10' long living quarters for anywhere near that price.. on the ITC..take out the appliances,bed,shower etc.. and all that you have pretty much a enclosed cargo trailer with out the axles.. I'm sure i'm missing something here but not sure what..thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #4

That ICT sleeper is designed and built for over the road daily use. That $10K bumper pull would fall apart with that kind of pounding. You could find a small bumper pull,remove the undercarriage, and set that on the Pete. I have seen a couple done that way. They work OK except the floor level is pretty high. Makes for some tall steps to get in and out. Lots of options. Have you looked on racing junk under Toterhomes? With the economy like it is,you can buy one far cheaper than you can build. Just a thought. MMM
mmmc101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

I have checked RJ everyday now for a year.. I wanted to buy a ready built toterhome but 99% of the ones in my price range 50k and under have a cat 3116 or 3126 motor.. I have heard nothing but bad news about these motors, from not being able to pull the hat off your head to all types of mech. issues.. That's why I got the Pete.. There has been one "living quarters" on RJ for sale that I have seen.. I drove 3.5 hours one way wednesday to look at it.. Pretty bad shape, wires hanging out , bed missing, shower looked like some one had urinated in it.. not really up to my standard..lol.. thanks!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcloud View Post
have a cat 3116 or 3126 motor.. I have heard nothing but bad news about these motors, from not being able to pull the hat off your head to all types of mech. issues..
What about those Cat engines? Are those "good" engines? or something we should stay away from.

The administrator should consider starting a thread for each engine make and series and allow the users to comment. That way when we're looking at a truck with an ABC 4360 engine, we could look at the thread and see what the comments are. Bring value to the users.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #7

blkcloud hang in there, I picked up an older (91) 337 Pete with a 120" Double Eagle, Kubota gen, Air, etc. 3406B motor, 15K on Ebay

377pete is offline   Reply With Quote