Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 01-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #1

Default Brake conversion

Hello everyone I have a question and just need an answer if someone has one or can point me in a direction that can help it would be great. My question is does anyone have any info on converting hydraulic brakes over to air brakes. I know it’s been done but info is limited, money, parts or time are of no concern. Just looking for an answer to a question and I figured maybe the guys on this site might be a little brighter and appreciate a challenge. TIA.

Rbohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

You could maybe go to air-over-hydraulic brakes but I don't know why you would want to. I think they are mostly found on military trucks.

Old 01-15-2018, 10:12 PM   #3

The problem is that parts are getting harder to find. As of right now I have not been able to find all the parts to rebuild the brakes. Places that thought they could get them have found that suppliers are discontinuing the parts. Which is understandable since it’s a 1978 b-700 with hydraulic brakes.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

Switching from juice brakes to air is a pretty major project. You might even have to exchange the axels for ones made to accept air brake hardware.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 PM   #5

I figured axle swap would be easiest. I have a whole semi chassis I got for free. Just have to do some measuring to see if they will fit. I think I might be able to find some axles that will bolt up with minimum fabrication if these don’t work. Time will tell how easy or hard it will be.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #6

Hydraulic brakes are still available on trucks up to 33,000gvw. Easier to update your system then to change it. It is 4 wheel disc, or front disc/rear drum?
TomRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

We live near the outskirts of Eugene, Oregon.

The heavy truck dismantler [aka 'wrecking yard'] Anderson Brothers constantly acquires-and-dismantles Class 6/7/8 trucks and semi tractors. I bet they have all the parts you need.

Based on my experience with their counter staff, you will probably find your conversion parts by strolling through the acres. Bring lots of photographs and dimensions to compare.

LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote