Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #1

Default Box Truck Build

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and am planning a box truck build. I'm starting this thread with the idea of continuing it later, but right now we're just shopping for the right truck and doing research and planning. I wanted to start with a topic that I'm hoping some veterans or mechanically inclined people can chime in on: Gas vs Diesel.

Ideally, we're looking for a pre-2003 Ford E350 or E450 with the Powerstroke Diesel engine. After speaking with some commercial truck people, this is what seems like would be our best scenario. However, we also want to be sure to get one with cab access and barn style doors and would like to have an attic. All of these are hard to find together with relatively low miles. But!, I have found a post-2003 E350 with everything except a diesel engine. This one has a 5.4L 250hp V8 gas engine. I'm at a loss on the pro's and con's of diesel vs gas in this scenario (or any scenario, really). We'll be doing a fair amount of travelling. The truck only has a little over 100K miles, so we are likely to have it for years before getting anywhere close to 200K. If anyone has any opinions on this particular engine or the general debate of gas vs diesel, I would love to hear them. We do plan on having a generator, but will likely rely on solar as much as possible. If anyone has any questions about our usage or requirements, I'm happy to answer them. Thanks.

boxtruckhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

with the price of diesel now i think gas is about as good. i have a 5.4 in my 4x4 pickup. has plenty of power. haven't had any problems with 131,000 miles on it. only get about 13 mpg empty or medium loads. i kind of have a lead foot that doesn't help. i pulled a car trailer once with a pickup on in. mileage went about in 1/2. i know the diesels are hard to work on in vans. if your going short trips gas would be better. the 7.3 diesel would be good also but kind of hard to find. i sold a ford 14 ' cube van to a guy that had a 7.3 diesel in it. ran great and he took it down by Mexico.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
box truck, build, camper, diesel, gas