Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-01-2004, 10:12 PM   #21

....correction:...POLYISOCYNATE....spell checker is on holiday again....geof

Old 09-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #22

Where can you buy R-Max?

I almost forgot about this: www.quietride.com
Quality heat shield is 3/8", "R" factor is 18.3. If you need something thin this is much better than the bubble wrap product. A roll of 4' x 48' is $149.95

rwrr001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #23

.....I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING IN ASHRE HANDBOOK ABOUT "QUIETRIDE" ANY OTHER REFERENCES? THE STUFF SEEMS "OUZ-SOME"-LIKE THE ANSWER WITH A R-18+ x3/8"..... BUT WITHOUT ANY TESTING IT'S JUST HYPE.....I HAVE GOTTEN 1,000,000 DIFFERENT SALES PITCHES ON INSULATION IN THE LAST 30 YEARS AND WITHOUT ANY ASHRE TESTING IT'S JUST A SALES PLOY.....AND AT 78 CENTS A SQ FT-I WONDER WHY IT IS NOT USED IN HOUSING WORLD WIDE....THATS 1/3 THE COST OF HOME INSULATION ON A PER FOOT BASIS TODAY.....GEOF
Old 09-05-2004, 06:26 PM   #24

.....SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TYPE WITHOUT YOUR glasses....geof sorry about that
Old 09-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #25

YEAH, THAT happens TO ME once in A WHILE TOO.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #26

....Gary: have you used any of that 'Quietride stuff Ichecked with a local builder just before the news tonight and he had never heard of it-he uses juite packing just like the old cars used to....geof
Old 09-12-2004, 10:44 AM   #27

I have used quietride on my pickup truck and its works very good. They claim it has an "R" factor is 18.3, not sure how they came up with this or what the "factor" is! Try some of the bubble wrap product under the hood of your car or truck and see how long it can last!

Where did you buy R-Max(Polyisocynate)???????????????????
Old 09-12-2004, 07:41 PM   #28

....building supply dealers in your area or Home Depot or Lowe's maybe.....comes in several different brand names-Celotex is just one of producers...the name isn't the issue it's the foam itself....smap a strip open if it has some glass hairs in in it for strength-you got the right stuff......there used to be a product that just had a fiberglass skin[green] over the foam-it's not on the market anymore......R-Max is just a brand name for polyisocynate board....geof
Old 09-12-2004, 09:16 PM   #29

.....the bubble wrap thing was what soured me on Lonnie's Showhauler deal.....just couldn't get past that insulation issue.....sometimes a little knowledge can mess up a deal real quick.....geof
Old 09-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #30

Found some Dow Tuff-R polyisocyanurate, I am going to buy the some sheets that have one bad corner (very minor) at %40 off.

Not sure why Showhauler would use that bubble wrap product, from the photo's it looks like they do a good job on the steel frame. The double wall is good too, but it should be insulated with foam or at least fiberglass batts.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #31

...rwrr001.....glue them in tight with spray can foam and/or liquid nail or silicone....if they shift why have a tendency to squeek, somewhat like styrofoam beadboard, over time....your rig will be quieter than a tomb at nidnite. I have to get the dog to wake up and see what's outside sometimes....mainly because I don't have any windows-with a car hauler I have a garage door on the rear and a 30" door on the side. If I want outside air I have to open one of those or a vent in the roof(3)....but then again why -I have heat and airconditioning at almost any setting you could want.....geof-keep at it/build for yourself
Old 09-13-2004, 04:41 PM   #32

Who said they wouldn't put additional insulation in? They'll add foam board, but for 99% of the owners of a Show Haulers it will be a waist of money. Beleive me I own one and have used it in temps as low as 5 degrees and as high as the 105 and never once wished I had more insulation. Actually, the thing is so air tight that I end up cracking a window just to get some fresh air either in the summer or winter if the thing is all shut up for more than a couple of hours.

Bill
Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 PM   #33

.....when I talked to Lonnie he said the added insulation was "styrofoam board" and you have mentioned the issue of the chill with the slide out as I recall...All electric unites-like my trailer and now the Volvo require more and tighter insulation-just like all electric houses.....the issue of stale air has to be addressed with an air to air heat exchanger or an open window-again when your rig is all electric there is also a moisture issue which must be addressed....when one problem is solved two more jump up....as yet I believe no one has mentioned the mold issue-again something that has to be addressed.....I have a good friend with a $99,000 repair bill on a $350,000 house with a mold problem-with no insurance coverage-he and his wife are now living with his 90 year old mother untill a court decides what is to be done.....geof
Old 09-13-2004, 09:15 PM   #34

.....isn't your unite propane heated-[cheaper than electric] and what is your A/C rated at?...maybe 36,000 BTU's or so?...geof
Old 09-13-2004, 10:08 PM   #35

A couple of points on insulation. It is Styrofoam with a capital S. Styrofoam is a brand name of the Dow Chemical Company. It is an extruded polystyrene with a R-5 rating per inch.

I was in the Showhauler factory in May. I do not remember seeing any Styrofoam. They use some beadboard (expanded polystyrene beads) R-4 per inch, in the floor.

The only company using Styrofoam instead of beadboard was in the United Specialities Trendsetters. But they only used it in the floor. They used fiberglass batts in the walls.

I was in 9 different RV, truck conversion factories in May. Just about every time the companies claimed they were using Styrofoam they were actually using beadboard. And when I brought that fact to their attention they did not even know the difference.

Haulmark did use some polyiso but only in a limited area. Most of what they use is beadboard.

There was not one company that I felt did a great job of insulating. Some were better than others. One area in which the truck conversion companies are weak is the enclosing, insulating and heating of the holding tanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:25 PM   #36

....I concur completely.....That was the main issue that started me building my own..... that, and I could do it for less than a third of the cost-built the way I want with no glitz hiding quality conponents and construction...just like the electric toilet issue-It works perfect....10,000 btu A/C= meat locker.... and heat should be very little for less than 1900 cubic feet.....geof
Old 09-17-2004, 09:54 PM   #37

.....I just has the highest month ever in my superinsulated home since 1996.....$148.00.....at least half was to power the equipment we are using to build the trailer and truck....1400kwh....it's that or this 'puter thing ;&gt....geof
Old 09-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #38

......I just got a new price on a overall Imron paint job on a 610 white cab only....$1800.00 out the door....cash might cut that some I haven't tried that trick yet.....geof