Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-28-2003, 03:48 PM   #1

New member first stupid question- Why don't any class 8 Mfg's build a wide body cab ? I'm currently a class A'er with an eye on truck conversions and I'm stuck on the little cab room compared to my DP. Aren't they all set up to pull a 102" wide load so why not build the operator compartment that wide. Would make for a heck of a conversion.

Cleeglog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:19 PM   #2

They do- they're called cabovers, or cab-over-engine(COE for short). They're the only ones that need to be that wide. If conventionals were that wide it would be impossible to run vertical stacks on those trucks with bodies built up against the back of the cab, like a motorhome conversion.

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #3

Gary, thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly that conventionals "have to" have the stacks verticle ? I'm thinking I've seen some class 8/conversions with the exhaust running under the coach to the rear/side.(exe. Dynamax Grand Sport Columbia)
Cleeglog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:28 PM   #4

cleeglog, mase sanford, check our the k.w. t 2000-- it's only offered in a sleeper cab, but i don't understand why every one doesn't want this. you can then stand up in the cab. the prices for a used truck aren't that different. a picture of my coach is on the site. umm can't remember where. the t2000 cab is way wider; and no the stacks are just a preference besides i was runnin' out of room underneath. lt me know if i can answer moer WIDE body questions. mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 10:02 PM   #5

new member too
sorry my english is sometimes bumpy (im originaly from switzerland)
i allready builded a mdt conversion (international 4900 DT 466HT roadranger 6speed air brakes/suspension alumibunk sleeper 17'x 102" morgan van body)
im in love with the T2000 and i will start a conversion probably this spring
im doing my homework about the truck right now
vapoppa, i have a lot of questions for you
to start with; is it possible to remove the lower bunkbed? or is there a rear HAVAC unit?
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:17 PM   #6

spooner, my english is a little bumpy too, i'm from va. yes there is a rear hvac under the right rear side of the sleeprer. hope i can help you. mase
Old 12-31-2003, 11:28 PM   #7

thank's for the info vappopa
hey cleeglog, i have to agree with vapoppa; check out the KW T2K. it takes some time to get used to the aero nose but the cap/sleeper is very nice. i also like the removable roof fairing because i would like to build the rig under 12'6" high. i plan on buying a 2000 or newer with a n-14, c-12 or c-15 and the autoshift 10 speed and then remove the front driving axle and extend the frame in the rear.
i did some "paint shop pro" magic to the pic

vapoppa, what engine/trans do you have/recomend? how do you like it?
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #8

spooner, you've got a great start. i'm t2000 c15 eaton 18 auto shift with 3.08 rear gear. i'm right at 34,000 but mine is made a bit heavy in places 'cause that's the way i thought was best to go then. now i'd say stronger where necessary and save where you can. you'll love the auto shift. the reason i went with the 18 was for extra gear ratio's. figured easier to order that way than not and wish that i had just one more here and one there. i'm c15 and glad i am. if you can find a 26,000# rear with 3.50 or down [towrd] 3.00 id say go, i ues 4th generally to pull off with. ive got some ideas that i used on mine but i can't seem to get them on here [not smart enough yet]. let me know and i'll try to get some to you. oh, i'm plumb crazy 'bout mine. it's on the for sale link, the last pic---- nope--- 'taint for sale. mase