Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
Ox

After nearly a month of dealing with the Motor Vehicle Department (MVD, not DMV) of Arizona, Suzy Q is headed to the MVD office on Wednesday to get her plates. Commercial plates.

In short, here is what I learned:
* ARS 28-4301.21 lists the requirements for a motor home. Easily met for a Class 8 with a sleeper and the basic add-ons (inverter, heater, refrig, microwave).

* There is a Policy Memo that is not visible to the public except by visiting the MVD office. Policy Memo 00-057 dated 18 August 2000 by Stacey K. Stanton (Division Director)states "a truck, truck tractor, or commercial vehicle as defined belowe that has been modified with the parts of a travel trailer, motor home, or modular motor home, but is designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles on a fifth wheel attachement and is not contructed to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load drawn, shall be titled and registered as a truck tractor".

* The Policy Memo cites ARS 28-601 and ARS 28-101.51 (should be ARS 28-101.52).

* The Policy Memo over rides the ARS. Per ARS 28 definitions (allows the Director latitude).

* ANYTHING over 8,500 GVW is to be registered with a commercial plate.

Aside from the issues of dealing with numerous people and getting numerous answers (some just flat wrong), I've hit nearly every MVD office in the Valley of the Sun. Even hit the central office downtown.

The best that was available to make the motor home title was to extend the platform I had built and then remove the 5th wheel hitch. Only regular tow trailers (tag) could be used at that point. Even going gooseneck would be citable.

The issue boiled down to the GVW and the hitch.

Per the Department of Public Safety (informally, of course), as long as the rig is obviously not pulling commercial stuff and is recreational, scales and CDL are not an issue. Pulling a race trailer or horse trailer could cause issues, depending on the officer and their mood that day.

Thought of doing the out-of-state registration gig. The state takes a dim view of that and tends to hit residents hard when they find those cases. Been there, done that, not going back. To do it right, the DL would have to be moved also. Too much hassle for my taste right now.

End result, Suzy Q will be legal shortly and she can start pulling the toy hauler. Let The Games Begin!

Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 04:16 PM   #2

Location: https://community.webshots.com/photo/93826746/94091929JnrVfF

Thanks for the update Chris -- As we've all been waiting !!

Much we all could say -- Lets do this .. ..

From this point forward -- It's all Downhill !! And -- Oh Baby .. What a Ride !!

Now -- Think Pictures -- and start posting !! :^)

Next time -- Don't wait a month to post .. :^)

Tootles .....

OLDphoneman

OLDphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:59 PM   #3

On the bright side Chris, you are getting it registered for a reasonable increase in cost. As AZ Jim mentioned on Escapees MDT forum, it's more expensive, around $1,200 as I recall, but his insurance is only $650 per year. That's probably about the same as it would be registered as a motorhome.

So, motorhome registration is out in Arizona. I hear its a no go in New Jersey too. Missouri is a very tough state also. Joe is having a bed built on his Volvo before attempting to register his as a motorhome. I am pretty sure Joe will get his registered. In Missouri, a custom built bed helps.

onezman

[This message was edited by onezman on March 18, 2003 at 09:10 PM.]
onezman is offline   Reply With Quote